Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey
Dec 24, 2012, 12:45
" it can never be absolute "

Absolutely, that is why it makes the world such a marvellous place to live in ;)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Dec 24, 2012, 12:48
Dec 24, 2012, 12:46
Jeeze Sanctuary, you’re getting as pedantic as me (see moss’ profile ;-) On that point I beg to differ though; you can spell mortise with a c but it’s actually a variation of mortise. The OED gives it as -

mortise /0?m?:t?s/ noun & verb. Also -ice. LME.
[ORIGIN Old French mortoise (mod. mortaise) = Spanish mortaja, perh. from Arabic murtaj locked, place of locking.]

A noun. A cavity or recess in a framework into which the end of some other part is fitted to form a joint; spec. in Carpentry, a (usu. rectangular) recess cut in the surface of a piece of timber etc. to receive a tenon. Also, a groove or slot in or through which to put a rope, an adjustable pin, etc. LME.

mortise and tenon, tenon and mortise a joint composed of a mortise and a tenon; the method of joining pieces of wood etc. with a mortise and a tenon.

[ORIGIN Old French mortoise (mod. mortaise) = Spanish mortaja, perh. from Arabic murtaj locked, place of locking.]

mortise and tenon, tenon and mortise a joint composed of a mortise and a tenon; the method of joining pieces of wood etc. with a mortise and a tenon.

Great book on Japanese joinery by the way is ART OF JAPANESE JOINERY - think you’d love it :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 12:51
tiompan wrote:
Of course ,it only pushes back the earliest date of a particular type . Just as if we find an earlier mortice and tenon in stone tomorrow it only means it preceded the earliest , as yet , wooden ones . it can never be absolute .

Never say never ;-) Meanwhile I’m happy with the possibility that the technique existed in stone before it did in wood.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 12:53
Littlestone wrote:
Jeeze Sanctuary, you’re getting as pedantic as me (see moss’ profile ;-) On that point I beg to differ though; you can spell mortise with a c but it’s actually a variation of mortise. The OED gives it as -

mortise /0?m?:t?s/ noun & verb. Also -ice. LME.

A noun. A cavity or recess in a framework into which the end of some other part is fitted to form a joint; spec. in Carpentry, a (usu. rectangular) recess cut in the surface of a piece of timber etc. to receive a tenon. Also, a groove or slot in or through which to put a rope, an adjustable pin, etc. LME.

Great book on Japanese joinery by the way is ART OF JAPANESE JOINERY - think you’d love it :-)

I can remember my old pal Graham as an apprentice getting a rollicking for spelling it with an S by one of our Southampon college tutors :-).
He was the guy who said that bricklayers worked to the nearest inch...mechanics to the nearest thou....but joiners, well we worked SPOT ON!!! LOL
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 12:55
Great story, and I know exactly where you’re coming from (had an almost identical experience in Egypt myself). Then there’s the story of only one of my shoes being polished by a kid shoeshine boy outside Luxor Temple... that’s for another time...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 12:58
Aye, what is it with masters torturing their apprentices. Was in tears once for not getting the spacing to something right :-(
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 13:06
tiompan wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:

LS there are examples of mortise and tenon in wood pre -dating Stonehenge e.g. http://www.world-archaeology.com/news/neolithic-treasure-chest/ .

Nice link tiompan, though it doesn’t really prove that mortise and tenon joints in wood preceded those in stone – just that those in the well preceded those at Stonehenge.

Of course ,it only pushes back the earliest date of a particular type . Just as if we find an earlier mortice and tenon in stone tomorrow it only means it preceded the earliest , as yet , wooden ones . it can never be absolute .

The problem is taphonomic , one is far more likely to have survived than the other . So even if we did have the earliest dated in stone , the chippies will always have a decent claim . As it stands they have the bragging rights .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Dec 24, 2012, 13:44
Dec 24, 2012, 13:42
tiompan wrote:
The problem is taphonomic , one is far more likely to have survived than the other . So even if we did have the earliest dated in stone , the chippies will always have a decent claim . As it stands they have the bragging rights .

Could always build your hopes on a fossilized mortise and tenon find ;-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 13:54
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:

As long as the chippy isn't fossilized next to it :-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 24, 2012, 13:55
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Their hopes . I don't mind whoever comes out earliest , no axe to grind . coat .
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index