Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
summerlands
192 posts

Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 19, 2011, 07:23
Ha ha! Given the latest posts on the thread I feel at this point I should point out I've never been one to leave offerings (of any sort! 8-0 !!) at a site. Yikes, you guys have had some interesting experiences...

My worries always come down to errosion, actually making the decision to visit them at all (I've resisted visiting Tigh na Cailleach so far for this reason), how 'close' you get to them without risking damage (as I said, walking over cairns or barrows, entering chambers, leaning against standing stones, etc) and I suppose the main thing I was thinking as posting is about handling stones - after reading up a lot of damage to rock art recently, visiting rock art sites with barriers, etc it's set me up to be a bit worried about rubbing / touching other stones. How much damage can we really do with hands? One hand is one hand, but thousands of hands...

On acccess my personal feeling is we should have access, on the whole, but we shouldn't feel we can demand access without common sense and sensitivity.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 19, 2011, 07:54
Well your original question was
"if you had to draw up a list of rules for interacting with sites what would it be? And what are the reasons for each 'rule'? "

Basically only two rules are needed aren't they? Try not to damage the site and don't spoil the next visitor's experience of it.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

May 19, 2011, 08:38
This is all well and good. Don't leave anything but memories. Save your footprints for tomorrow's children. All that stuff. When the monuments at the Knar were getting fed through the crusher and I was calling for help there was silence. Nobody offered to help in any way. And it's gone. (I've decided to be more Zahi Hawass-like). In Smithills there was a superb and original drystone wall closing the long barrow at Toothills. Now it's smashed. Nobody has helped with that. Delaminated? It's shattered...
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

May 19, 2011, 08:59
All the more reason to go and visit them. Photograph them so at least we have something visible to look at.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 19, 2011, 10:43
May 19, 2011, 09:19
StoneGloves wrote:
This is all well and good. Don't leave anything but memories. Save your footprints for tomorrow's children. All that stuff. When the monuments at the Knar were getting fed through the crusher and I was calling for help there was silence. Nobody offered to help in any way. And it's gone. (I've decided to be more Zahi Hawass-like). In Smithills there was a superb and original drystone wall closing the long barrow at Toothills. Now it's smashed. Nobody has helped with that. Delaminated? It's shattered...

Not sure who you mean or what help you wanted but I did explain to you that HA wasn't a public service but a means for people to get issues more widely heard but you didn't take up the opportunity.

As for it being gone, it's a shame but merely typical. 90% of tumuli are gone, Development invariable means preservation by record not an abandonment of the project and metal detectorists ask farmers to use a deeper plough on unprotected archaeological sites to bring the stuff to the surface. What do you expect? Conservation? No votes in that I'm afraid.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 19, 2011, 10:24
May 19, 2011, 09:19
StoneGloves wrote:

Not sure who you mean or what help you wanted but I did explain to you that HA wasn't a public service but a means for people to get issues more widely heard but you didn't take up the opportunity.

As for it being gone, it's a shame but merely typical. 90% of tumuli are gone, Development invariable means preservation by record not an abandonment of the project and metal detectorists ask farmers to use a deeper plough on unprotected archaeological sites to bring the stuff to the surface. What do you expect? Conservation? No votes in that I'm afraid.
stonefree
68 posts

May 19, 2011, 09:51
Wasn't there something in the news recently about Heisenberg's uncertainty principle becoming a bit more certain or did I dream it ?[/quote]

You can either 1: Know what it was you read, but not where you read it,
or 2: Know where you read it but not what it was that you read!
summerlands
192 posts

May 19, 2011, 10:30
nigelswift wrote:
Well your original question was
"if you had to draw up a list of rules for interacting with sites what would it be? And what are the reasons for each 'rule'? "

Basically only two rules are needed aren't they? Try not to damage the site and don't spoil the next visitor

But to not damage it you have to understand how not to damage it, surely? And that's more what my post was about the whys and consequences. Otherwise we'd all stay away entirely *or* unintentionally do things to harm a site that we don't understand harms it.
summerlands
192 posts

May 19, 2011, 10:31
I actually wish I'd not used the word rules in my original post :-) as that confuses what I was asking I think...

In order to have common sense about such places you have to have knowledge-sense to inform that.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 19, 2011, 11:40
May 19, 2011, 10:38
Well I think not touching is such an unrealistic aspiration it's better not expressed lest it brings any other ideals into disrepute. Don't touch lichen, don't climb on, yes, but not touching with your hand is a bit much, unless it's delicate rock or delicate markings. I suspect you could stroke a sarsen till the end of time and not leave a mark.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index