Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 17, 2011, 15:00
common era wrote:
It's probably already been mentioned (sorry, didn't read through all the posts here) but my philosophy regarding being in the great outdoors is simple. First, follow the Countryside Code:

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/enjoying/countrysidecode/default.aspx

Even simpler than that is the old adage:

Take nothing but photographs.
Leave nothing but footprints.

No compromises either.

And please don't pick the wild flowers, it has always worried me that the more people that go to sites the few wild plants that are hanging on get trampled down, etc...
I would also pose the question do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 17, 2011, 15:24
moss wrote:
[I would also pose the question do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?

(Or party at them, in unfeasible numbers?)

;)
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

May 17, 2011, 17:25
"Do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?" A good question and I'm not going to start to answer it except to say that a person with the tradition of the builders - debased though it may be - is like the mechanic and should be encouraged, rather than excluded.

Also I've got three hop sprouts today - there was nothing there yesterday. Wild hop, I suspect, cleaned, packeted, and sold on eBay (for 99p).
scubi63
463 posts

May 17, 2011, 17:38
moss wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
so you're back from your travels to the far north are you?

Are you going to get the slide projector out?!

Rhiannon if you were'nt so snobby about F/B you could follow Scubi's progress on that trashy site;). But he's got back to the West Country in one safe piece!

Well I actually only got back about an hour and a half ago. I managed to post my message yesterday as my B&B on Lewis had WIFI but it was very slow and useless for down loading anything really.

As it happens Rh, I took over 40Gb worth of pictures and if you are not careful I will show you each and every one of ,um.... and I do a good nasally voice too. ;o)

Ah FB moss, what would I do without it....probably get out more :o) In my view use it with caution and only include people you know personally or have got to know through other means....well as best you can anyway.

:o)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

May 17, 2011, 19:34
moss wrote:
I would also pose the question do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?

My instinctive answer is "yes". This is our heritage, etc, it doesn't really "belong" to anyone, each landowner should view their tenure as a that of a privileged guardian. I'm not sure about "demand" - maybe ask nicely? :-)

Perhaps the answer might be "no" where there are good reasons of preservation or perhaps privacy (if the site is in someone's garden, for example), that might be compromised by allowing access. But how often would that be?

If people don't go to see the non-state maintained sites, the obscure sites, the unprotected ones off the beaten track, they will disappear.
Megalithics
199 posts

May 17, 2011, 20:20
Errr, many of the sites we visit are open to livestock who appear to be unaware that they should not be trampling, climbing, and pooing ( TCP )on all of those delicate mounds, stones and rock art.

Now, you could argue that the presence of larger animals such as cows ( and definitely bulls! ) at a site might reduce the amount of human visitors willing to share a visit with them, but of course the livestock tend to visit for a lot longer than humans and therefore must generate a higher TCP burden on the site than human visits alone.

An single average size cow is way up on the trample meter compared to either of us, having more considerably more mass and twice as many feet, and it would definitely beat us in the pooing stakes too.

And as for the wild flowers, well.........
tomwatts
376 posts

May 17, 2011, 20:54
......... Megalithics wrote of the cow.......

........and it would definitely beat us in the pooing stakes too.

.................. speak for yourself..........

......You can't beat a good thrutch.....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 17, 2011, 21:53
thesweetcheat wrote:
moss wrote:

My instinctive answer is "yes". This is our heritage, etc, it doesn't really "belong" to anyone, each landowner should view their tenure as a that of a privileged guardian. I'm not sure about "demand" - maybe ask nicely? :-)

Perhaps the answer might be "no" where there are good reasons of preservation or perhaps privacy (if the site is in someone's garden, for example), that might be compromised by allowing access. But how often would that be?

If people don't go to see the non-state maintained sites, the obscure sites, the unprotected ones off the beaten track, they will disappear.

I agree with you tsc; there is often a hefty charge to visit the sites which are under the guardianship of English Heritage and the National Trust - the obvious example being Stonehenge where many people take their photographs from the wrong side of the fence. As for the other more remote sites on hillsides and moors - whose to say who is allowed to visit or not; perhaps the people who have already visited and want to keep the sites as pristine as possible - but surely that would be elitism. There are far too may barbed wire fences and poorly maintained stiles in the countryside as it is - the 'right to visit an ancient site' is on a par with the 'right to roam'. Long may it continue.
moss
moss
2897 posts

May 18, 2011, 06:30
[quote="moss

I would also pose the question do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?[/quote]

Well I'll answer my own question; it suddenly struck me looking at the Countryside Code, that in pursuit of stones we often have to go across farmland to seek out stones, barrows, etc. Sometimes arable but often fields with animals in, and the farmer has every 'right' to demand of us that we don't frighten cattle, sheep, etc and cause an accident, we don't leave gates open, and we don't scrabble under barbed wire thereby makin it loose. After all this is his livelihood.

He has a 'duty of care' to his land, a set of restrictions, as we all do, that is what I was getting at, its a contractual understanding, if we want freedom of access to stones on farm land we should be prepared to abide by the rules!

And yes I do know about those large horned creatures up on Penwith Moors but I have a feeling they won't last long up there - they are the wrong breed, Dexters would have been better...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 18, 2011, 06:54
moss wrote:
[quote="moss

I would also pose the question do we have a right to demand to see every prehistoric monument - just because it happens to be there?[/quote]

Well I'll answer my own question; it suddenly struck me looking at the Countryside Code, that in pursuit of stones we often have to go across farmland to seek out stones, barrows, etc. Sometimes arable but often fields with animals in, and the farmer has every 'right' to demand of us that we don't frighten cattle, sheep, etc and cause an accident, we don't leave gates open, and we don't scrabble under barbed wire thereby makin it loose. After all this is his livelihood.

He has a 'duty of care' to his land, a set of restrictions, as we all do, that is what I was getting at, its a contractual understanding, if we want freedom of access to stones on farm land we should be prepared to abide by the rules!

And yes I do know about those large horned creatures up on Penwith Moors but I have a feeling they won't last long up there - they are the wrong breed, Dexters would have been better...

We have some Highland Cattle at Minions... beautiful beasts.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index