Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Horsedrawn
55 posts

Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
May 03, 2011, 18:27
I hesitate to recommend this technique for the reasons you mention. Do not try this at home. However, I have been doing this at many sites for 20 years and my eyes are checked regularly; there is no damage. The sun can be observed, indeed gazed upon, once the 'glare of the sky' is removed. The Solar Corona can be seen. My own research led me to this many years ago and the work of Professor North, of the University of Groeningen confirmed it. These little known optical qualities are on display at Newgrange, Maes Howe and Loughcrew. I would be glad to furnish a full explanation of the Optical Dynamics. The point is that Newgrange is now accepted as the oldest astronomically aligned structure in the world. Perhaps no longer.

David Kane.
cerrig
187 posts

May 03, 2011, 18:30
Do you know of any references I could look up concerning this Mesopotamian link. I would like to know how they could have judged this without another means of timing it.
Resonox
604 posts

May 03, 2011, 18:58
Horsedrawn wrote:
The short answer is yes. The rising sun lights the underside of Stone 8 (the capstone) through two apertures towards the East. One is bigger than the other, and I suspect this is due to an understanding of the Equation of Time. This subject is under study. The differences between the extremes; midwinter and midsummer, that is, how the 'daggers' of light play upon the capstone's underside, and other places, suggest strongly that the principles of the Equation of Time were understood and taken into account. I emphasise here that none of this is conclusive, but I would add that such things were understood well at the same time in Mesopotamia, so why not here?

David Kane.

Something that has always bugged me...nothing to do with the scientific applications although I daresay there is an equation to be made.....the time it would take to erect the structure...a variable no-one knows, then to get the alignment right means that it wouldn't be aligning to it's original design or purpose...(assuming we are correct in assuming it is for catching sun-rays + shadows) after this lapse of time....and of course we haven't taken into account bad weather/fog/rain etc where the sun is obscured...possibly for days. Does this indicate then that the structure would be built and the "hole" made afterwards to suit? Worth considering?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 03, 2011, 19:38
cerrig wrote:
Do you know of any references I could look up concerning this Mesopotamian link. I would like to know how they could have judged this without another means of timing it.

If you are talking about the same period of the build of the portal tombs then nae chance .
At best they realised that the sun was irregular .
Horsedrawn
55 posts

May 03, 2011, 19:39
Well, the weather was better, I am reliably informed. But this question bugs me too. Sometimes I think they may have cut the stone to follow the shadows, as it was happening, as it were, and sometimes I don't. It would not have taken long to erect the structure but if it is a planetarium rather than an observatory, built to embody and demonstrate heavenly cycles then the astronomy must have been done first. I have wrestled with this for a long time. Observatory, Planetarium, Tomb, Town Hall Clock, Energy Centre, Geodesic Triangulation Point; my mind is open, it may have been all of these things. The investigation continues.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 03, 2011, 19:39
I've not been following these threads (I think I've caught the general gist tho) but what Resonox said rang a bell.

East Steel Farm in Northumberland has a modern stone circle on it, and I read somewhete that for the farmer to get it as accurate as possible, with regards solstice alignments, took him a decade, due to fog, cloud, etc at the crucial moments.

I have no idea if this is relevant, but thought it might be connected due to the difficulties incolved getting a modern stone circle to align, let alone a weeny hole (are we still going on about that or should I shut up? :D )

G x
Horsedrawn
55 posts

May 03, 2011, 19:40
Shut up? No. Pray continue.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 03, 2011, 20:08
Horsedrawn wrote:
Shut up? No. Pray continue.

That's it! I'm spent. I just happened to stumble across Resonox's post and thoight I'd not heard my own voice enough here lately. ;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 03, 2011, 20:11
Horsedrawn wrote:
I hesitate to recommend this technique for the reasons you mention. Do not try this at home. However, I have been doing this at many sites for 20 years and my eyes are checked regularly; there is no damage. The sun can be observed, indeed gazed upon, once the 'glare of the sky' is removed. The Solar Corona can be seen. My own research led me to this many years ago and the work of Professor North, of the University of Groeningen confirmed it. These little known optical qualities are on display at Newgrange, Maes Howe and Loughcrew. I would be glad to furnish a full explanation of the Optical Dynamics. The point is that Newgrange is now accepted as the oldest astronomically aligned structure in the world. Perhaps no longer.

David Kane.

"The Solar Corona can be seen" ????

Not by looking through a hole in a rock I think.
Horsedrawn
55 posts

May 03, 2011, 20:21
Yes. Just that.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index