Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
why do people visit the monuments of N Wales?

25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: why do people visit the monuments of N Wales?
Mar 27, 2011, 11:15
nigelswift wrote:
Flo wrote:
Hi Bladup
plenty of candles, josh sticks, feathers and chalked symbols everywhere,

Hi Flo,
I think if you want to get a true handle on why people visit these places it's important to understand the vast majority of visitors, whether of a spiritual bent or not, don't approve of candles or josh sticks or the chalking of symbols. It would be nice if your research reflected that conclusion and the fact that 99.99% of people that go to the sites respect the sites. What you saw was evidence of a tiny selfish feral minority, so small it's hardly worth mentioning. It would be particularly unfortunate to conflate "spiritually motivated people" with vandals, they're two distict subsets!

I had a look at some images of the site in question(admittedly they were library pictureswith no indication of when they were taken)...was surprised by the markings of CND and triskelion symbols along with the obligatory "Nobby woz 'ere"....and just wondered why...it's not respecting a "sacred" site it's marking your territory like some dog. If I had a picnic there and left a Melton Mowbray pork pie wrapper, some mustard smeared tinfoil and an empty coke can....people would readily (AND RIGHTLY)decry my actions even if I used the flimsy excuse they were me leaving an offering in thanks of a hearty repast.
It has been mooted several times that if people want to make an offering biodegradable is the best option....but candles which cause smoke damage as well as leaving clumps of melted wax in their resting place and if little tea-light containers which are harmful to wildlife(and any solace-seeker in barefeet)are used why are they not removed afterwards?...IMO, it is vandalism and gross disrespect at worst and littering and selfishness at best.

On a lighter note...I wonder what would happen if, whilst some "temporary worshipper"....was having an OOBE their mortal coil was carted off to the local amenity tip by the litter wardens?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index