'Sacred' sites

97 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sweep
30 posts

Re: 'Sacred' sites
Mar 06, 2011, 03:36
GLADMAN wrote:
Glad to have contributed to debate... not to mention encouraged by Sweep's post - such realism must represent a big way forward if this represents those now involved in the field.

Hopefully, but really of course it's just the basic attitude necessary to avoid getting carried away. I really don't know one way or the other if I'm representative, though. I don't know anyone else doing this.

GLADMAN wrote:
Rest assured enough quality data will convince the rational if it can be obtained. The irrational are beyond reasoned argument anyway.

That's a nice summary.

GLADMAN wrote:
Surely - in my opinion - no loving creator would provide us with such curious, competitive brains and then say 'by the way, you are forbidden to use them, everything you need to know, ever, is in this here book - sorry about the contradictions, but being perfect is such a drag, you know'.

I agree, and ironically quite a few Christians would as well. Many Quakers certainly would. What I find worrying is that the kind of attitude you've summarised isn't specifically Christian. It's fundamentalist - and fundamentalism of every kind is on the rise, which is a dangerous development. My personal view is that in Christianity it's a sign of the death of Christianity - it takes an aggressive/defensive posture and makes itself completely untenable. But who knows, really?

But you've summarised human contradictoriness well. That makes sense to me. Sometimes I'd like to be wholly rational, but life tells me it isn't actually reasonable to function that way, at least with our limited rationality and our present levels of knowledge. Life is often weird, even given the great value and necessity of rationality, and it certainly defies neat summary. I do like Jung's view of the human mind, though, made up of thought, feeling, sensation and intuition, in which rationality has its definite place but needs to operate in relation to the entire scope of the human mind. Its limiting to retreat into one function, but also misleading to treat, say, intuition as if it were thought.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index