Developments at Avebury

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 17, 2011, 10:31
Well said, think I agree with everything there. This bit though rings very true -

A simple trackway for wheelchairs around the henge would brighten the lives of many many people who are missing out on so much that we all take for granted. There is so much more that could be done to enhance everybodies enjoyment of what our fantastic great ancestors have bequeathed us.

Yup, we’re so often not allowed, or can’t, ‘get up close’ but provided no harm is done to an object or site that provision should be encouraged.

There was a sculpture exhibition at the British Museum some years ago called Please Touch. In a world where we’re so often told not to touch this was a refreshing change... the exhibition was principally for the visually impaired.
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 10:45
Littlestone wrote:
There was a sculpture exhibition at the British Museum some years ago called Please Touch. In a world where we’re so often told not to touch this was a refreshing change... the exhibition was principally for the visually impaired.

The BM is very "anti-touching"...usually as a preservation for the artefacts....but on a school trip(as an assistant..not a pupil) some years back....students were often told off for leaning against exhibit cases.
I one of the ancient Greek statue rooms...the surly curator was like a stuck recording just intoning over and over "Don't touch!"...without any explanation.....so I gathered my group to explain the damage that touching, even lightly, can inflict on these marbles./..so I got them to do a little experiment(I even got Mizz Surly Curator to join in...you can try it yourself....and use it to impress young relatives...)
Lick the back of your hand.
Wave it about a bit till it dries naturally.
Then smell the dried area.
It doesn't smell nice(and no-one is immune)...

It's due to various bacteria on the skin and in saliva interacting...but just mention to kids it's "Horrible germs and that these germs can damage old statues"...and hey presto...a highly effective deterrent...with the "yuk" factor that youngsters appreciate.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 10:45
Littlestone wrote:
Well said, think I agree with everything there. This bit though rings very true -

A simple trackway for wheelchairs around the henge would brighten the lives of many many people who are missing out on so much that we all take for granted. There is so much more that could be done to enhance everybodies enjoyment of what our fantastic great ancestors have bequeathed us.

Yup, we’re so often not allowed, or can’t, ‘get up close’ but provided no harm is done to an object or site that provision should be encouraged.

I'm not ashamed to admit to this LS but some years ago a blind and physically disabled lady was being pushed around the SW quadrant and was being hepled out of her wheelchair by another lady because she wanted to hug a stone. I helped to support her as she held on to the stone and had tears in my eyes as she herself cried tears of joy because she had been blind since birth and it was something she had always wanted to do after hearing so much about them. She actually 'thanked' the stone for allowing her to do it and I felt really humble I can tell you. I drove home on air that night.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 10:48
:-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2011, 11:34
Feb 17, 2011, 11:32
Yup to all that.

The problem with having stone artefacts indoors is that there’s no natural ‘cleansing process’ (as there is if they're outdoors) consequently you get a build up of fats and acids that cause havoc to the object. It’s astonishing to still see people on TV handling precious books, manuscripts and objects with their bare hands.

We’ve had this debate before, some claiming it’s safer not to ware gloves when handling precious objects – it is not safer. Nor is it safe to eat or drink anywhere near such an object - so there :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 12:16
Littlestone wrote:

I have a problem with all what we are proposing though and one that I have raised before. None of this will come cheap and if too much is done then you must be prepared for the thing we have all dreaded...having to pay to enter the henge! No matter what we all think it really is only a matter of time. If the money can't be made or raised one way that will be the last resort...and it'll be taken for sure! I don't mind personally as long as it is reasonably charged but as we have seen at that place 20 miles down the road, don't 'bank' on it!!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 13:25
nigelswift wrote:
First, let's establish some principles to guide us. Number one is that developments should be judged by whether they mainly benefit the WHS or the applicant.

There isn't another.

Judged like that, a lot of recent and pending developments should be opposed. Including anything by NT. They're over-dominant. It ain't their WHS. They have 2 museums, a shop, a cafe and now they want to add another retail outlet to take a further share of the tourist pound from the other outlets in the village (who have to pay them rent).

The principal motivation for the new outlet is to make money for NT (and it won't make much judging by how they run tea rooms elsewhere), not to enhance Avebury so it's a definite no-no.

So there.

PS
90% of what's need in Avebury is a 15 mph speed limit and speed bumps. Anyone who opposes that doesn't truly have the public interest at heart.

So there again.

I fully support the above statement. So there.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2011, 15:39
Feb 17, 2011, 15:38
None of this will come cheap and if too much is done then you must be prepared for the thing we have all dreaded...having to pay to enter the henge! No matter what we all think it really is only a matter of time. If the money can't be made or raised one way that will be the last resort...and it'll be taken for sure! I don't mind personally as long as it is reasonably charged but as we have seen at that place 20 miles down the road, don't 'bank' on it!!

We’ve seen, with the forest debacle and events in the Middle East, People Power in action. There would be one serious outcry against charging to enter the Henge, not to mention it being extremely difficult to stop people entering from various points if they wanted to – Avebury’s a big place. What would they do? Put up barbed wire to stop people getting in?

Doubt if charging will ever happen, but if they ever try it on I’ll be with thousands of other folks to stop it – so there!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 15:59
I'm sure you're right, it'll never happen, specifically because you couldn't fence it off.

A small confession though, I must have something missing as I don't at all mind paying to get in to places and have no urge to claim I have some ancient right to free access. Someone has to pay to upkeep places, why not we visitors? Seems fair. Who else, taxpayers? Why?

Anyhow, since it definitely ain't gonna happen it's not worth bothering about. BUT since the country is skint and these places DO need looking after, why not honesty boxes? Who would be so mean as to think five quid wasn't reasonable for a visit?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 16:07
Littlestone wrote:
None of this will come cheap and if too much is done then you must be prepared for the thing we have all dreaded...having to pay to enter the henge! No matter what we all think it really is only a matter of time. If the money can't be made or raised one way that will be the last resort...and it'll be taken for sure! I don't mind personally as long as it is reasonably charged but as we have seen at that place 20 miles down the road, don't 'bank' on it!!

We’ve seen, with the forest debacle and events in the Middle East, People Power in action. There would be one serious outcry against charging to enter the Henge, not to mention it being extremely difficult to stop people entering from various points if they wanted to – Avebury’s a big place. What would they do? Put up barbed wire to stop people getting in?

Doubt if charging will ever happen, but if they ever try it on I’ll be with thousands of other folks to stop it – so there!

That's what they said about Stonehenge I would imagine. Left to the nation to roam freely amongst the stones wasn't it...I don't think so! My guess is it'll happen one day and will be accepted if sensibly charged to safeguard it's future. Would you be apposed to a charge if it was to guarantee it's welfare?
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index