145 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2011, 15:38
Re: Wicker baskets and Stonehenge
Feb 10, 2011, 15:37
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
I don't understand how the ropes are conected to this construction.

We discussed this a couple of months ago I recall and I said it was like the 'cotton-reel' idea of a few years back where they coiled 'rope' around the ends and pulled it along. When it uncoiled they just 'reloaded' it and carried on.

Thats what I thought. Your not going to get very far before there is a need to stop and 'reload' and if the diameter of the drum where the ropes are, aren't exactly the same size, it will not hold a straight line

Plus, how would they 'reload' without lifting the drum or turning it around and running the drum over the rope.

The 'cotton-reel' idea was coined I believe when the theory was put forward that the stones were 'packed out' to an even circumference then cased in timber planking. The ends of a log rope were then tied together to form an endless loop and put around the cotton-reel. It was then a 'simple' matter of then just pulling it along as it just rolled around and around. In theory a brilliant idea but like all of them you needed a decent surface to work off and a way of making sure the rope(s) pulled it along evenly.

Ah, It wouldn't of worked then.
I was looking at the drawing by Garry Lavin and couldn't see how that would have worked.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index