81 posts

Wicker baskets and Stonehenge
Feb 09, 2011, 20:47
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-12386804
jackyboy
145 posts

Re: Wicker baskets and Stonehenge
Feb 09, 2011, 21:33
I don't understand how the ropes are conected to this construction.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 22:32
It's not going to roll now is it. Not until they go downhill and it runs the poor cows over.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 22:51
jackyboy wrote:

We discussed this a couple of months ago I recall and I said it was like the 'cotton-reel' idea of a few years back where they coiled 'rope' around the ends and pulled it along. When it uncoiled they just 'reloaded' it and carried on.
The Eternal
924 posts

Feb 09, 2011, 23:10
Would there not be evidence around the excavations of Stonehenge of the imprint of the "rollers"? I'm sure we've seen evidence of this sort of imprint before under less weight, and, I might add, under different circumstances.
Regards,
TE.
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 10, 2011, 08:05
http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/rolling-stones-and-basket-cases/
jackyboy
145 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2011, 10:36
Feb 10, 2011, 09:45
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:

We discussed this a couple of months ago I recall and I said it was like the 'cotton-reel' idea of a few years back where they coiled 'rope' around the ends and pulled it along. When it uncoiled they just 'reloaded' it and carried on.

Thats what I thought. Your not going to get very far before there is a need to stop and 'reload' and if the diameter of the drum where the ropes are, aren't exactly the same size, it will not hold a straight line

Plus, how would they 'reload' without lifting the drum or turning it around and running the drum over the rope.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 10, 2011, 11:46
jackyboy wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:

Thats what I thought. Your not going to get very far before there is a need to stop and 'reload' and if the diameter of the drum where the ropes are, aren't exactly the same size, it will not hold a straight line

Plus, how would they 'reload' without lifting the drum or turning it around and running the drum over the rope.

The 'cotton-reel' idea was coined I believe when the theory was put forward that the stones were 'packed out' to an even circumference then cased in timber planking. The ends of a log rope were then tied together to form an endless loop and put around the cotton-reel. It was then a 'simple' matter of then just pulling it along as it just rolled around and around. In theory a brilliant idea but like all of them you needed a decent surface to work off and a way of making sure the rope(s) pulled it along evenly.
jackyboy
145 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2011, 15:38
Feb 10, 2011, 15:37
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:

The 'cotton-reel' idea was coined I believe when the theory was put forward that the stones were 'packed out' to an even circumference then cased in timber planking. The ends of a log rope were then tied together to form an endless loop and put around the cotton-reel. It was then a 'simple' matter of then just pulling it along as it just rolled around and around. In theory a brilliant idea but like all of them you needed a decent surface to work off and a way of making sure the rope(s) pulled it along evenly.

Ah, It wouldn't of worked then.
I was looking at the drawing by Garry Lavin and couldn't see how that would have worked.
The Eternal
924 posts

Feb 10, 2011, 22:32
Resonox wrote:

Nice one Resonox. (:D)
Cheers,
TE.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index