Avebury »
The 6th Avebury World Megameet

Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Heritage Action
14 posts

The 6th Avebury World Megameet
Feb 06, 2011, 09:38
Heritage Action will be holding its 6th World Megameet this year on Sunday, the 17 July in Avebury. As before the Red Lion will be our venue if the weather is poor, otherwise the Megameet/Picnic will take place by the recumbent stone in the south-east quadrant of the Avebury Henge from around noon onwards.

More here.
Resonox
604 posts

Re: The 6th Avebury World Megameet
Feb 06, 2011, 09:58
Certainly marked on my calendar....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 06, 2011, 15:29
Resonox wrote:
Certainly marked on my calendar....

Good stuff Mr R! And on our calendar too. Looking forward to seeing you there :-)
summerlands
192 posts

Feb 06, 2011, 16:15
One of those times I wish I'd not moved to the other end of the UK!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2011, 18:50
Feb 06, 2011, 17:01
summerlands wrote:
One of those times I wish I'd not moved to the other end of the UK!

Well, try’n make it summerlands.

Jane Tomlinson and Anna Dillon were both at last year’s Megameet, so if they can make it again this year you'll be in good company (and sure of a warm welcome from everyone else there as well :-)
summerlands
192 posts

Feb 06, 2011, 20:27
Well I've already had my eye appreciatively on Janes site for a few years, there's a few of her works I would have killed to own :-D, but WOW I've not seen Anna's site before! Awesome stuff!

I still have folks and friends in Bristol and Somserset - wonder if I could find an excuse to come down?... I used to almost live in Avebury when I lived down in those parts, would be lovely to get back for a day, have a warm pint in the Lion and a wander about :-D
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 06, 2011, 21:50
Dunno how old your children are summerlands but I remember Hob saying (the Megameet before last) that one of his children had asked, as they entered Avebury, “Where is this stone circle then?” Hob replied, “You’re in it!” Classic, and never too soon to start ‘em off :-)
summerlands
192 posts

Feb 06, 2011, 22:04
Oh they are well trained LOL!! ;-) :-) My blog post today was about my son getting soaked to the skin, knee deep in watery cow poo in the name of finding some stones LOL (cruel mummy! 8-0 )

That is a corker though! Actually I'm not sure my kids could cope with the thought of the size of Avebury either, I know I was boggled when I first went (well Silbury blew me away completely!!) I recon I was only 2-3 years older than my son at the time...

I think my edlest (7) has been once, but was about 2 weeks old so he wouldn't remember, and then we moved right after that.

Hmm... Having a think on logistics... :-)
CARL
511 posts

Feb 07, 2011, 08:04
Put in my diary.
I was unable to go last year at the last minute.
Hopefully I will have more luck this year.
I have never been to one!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2011, 09:43
Feb 07, 2011, 09:42
Someone asked me to write a short account of previous ones for their website Carl. I told them it wasn't possible as there were so many different people with different views but the one thing that can be said, as it happens every year, is that everyone comes away saying what really charming people stoney folk are! If you come, you'll realise. It's like wallowing in a warm bath of sarsen*

* Whaaaat?!
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index