Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: New theory on age of Newgrange sun trap
Dec 23, 2016, 15:18
He seems to have a problem .

How can he argue against the classic pre-excavation pics which are in the public domain ?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 23, 2016, 15:52
Thanks Cian, your input appreciated. My puzzlement lies in why Michael Gibbons would put his professional integrity on the line by making a claim he knows can be refuted. As a former co-director of OPW he must be familiar with the O'Kelly archive and its content.

Just seems a bit odd.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 23, 2016, 23:29
I think there's so much politics and trenchant resentment about the restoration in certain quarters that people will believe anything that paints O'Kelly in a bad light without checking if it's true or not. For a lot of people the use of concrete at Newgrange was spiritually indefensible even if it was, in engineering terms, the only way to keep it open. They forget O'Kelly also removed as much of the earlier cack-handed concrete supports inside that he possibly could.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Dec 25, 2016, 00:34
http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/newgrange-the-archaeological-evidence-1.2916654#.WF5BNtferWI.twitter
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 27, 2016, 12:56
Nice blog from Ken on this:

https://blog.shadowsandstone.com/2016/12/27/raising-the-roof-comments-on-the-recent-newgrange-roofbox-controversy/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 27, 2016, 17:53
thesweetcheat wrote:

Very well written and researched by Ken/Cian. I need it to read it through a couple of times to absorb all the information. It seems the Irish Times has been guilty of sensationalist and ultimately poor journalism.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index