Newgrange »
Solstice

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Solstice
Dec 20, 2010, 17:01
Right now we're having a complete white-out so it's not looking hopeful.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 16:47
I got some pictures ...
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 17:46
Bright Blessings To You All.

:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZP_c5KwQLI

Aum
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 21, 2016, 20:15
Re: New theory on age of Newgrange sun trap
Dec 21, 2016, 20:13
Oh dear! Just read this Irish Times piece. Michael Gibbons is proposing a theory that the Newgrange sun trap may only be 50 years old.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/newgrange-sun-trap-may-be-only-50-years-old-says-archaeologist-1.2913483
jonmor
jonmor
150 posts

Dec 21, 2016, 20:26
https://twitter.com/opwireland/status/811655058068803589
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 21, 2016, 23:24
I haven't read the paper and wonder how accurate the I.T. description might be .
The "as" in "Newgrange’s real significance as an Iron Age “Hiberno-Roman cult site” (not a direct quote from the Gibbons , but from the I.T. ) doesn't suggest a detraction from the real significance of the monument .

That there might be a problem with the light box may well be perfectly valid , it would be good to see the argumnet .
Even without the " roof box ", the passage is still oriented towards the winter solstcice sunrise and it would be difficult to argue against the intentionality of that alignment . The orientation was not an O' Kelly construct .
I was unaware of the Chris Scarre nomination of one of the "worst archaeological reconstructions 2006 " gong , but that is more than likely due to the facade and nothing to do with the orientation of the passge .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 22, 2016, 22:13
Dec 22, 2016, 22:12
Thanks for your answer George. I have read the OPW (Office of Public Works, Ireland) statement on Twitter - thanks to jonmor too for posting that link. It is quite hard to read unless you log into Twitter so I have reproduced their response below:

Office of Public Works, Ireland - Comments regarding the Roof Box to the Newgrange Monument.
Following the excavations at Newgrange in the 1960s, the monument’s entrance, including the roof box, passageway were fully re-instated. The suggestion made that the roof box is “50 year old” construct is entirely untrue.
Dr Robert Hensey, an archaeologist who has researched the excavation and re-instatement works carried out by Professor Michael O’Kelly confirms this position. Dr Hensey has stated, “The roof-box is attested in antiquarian accounts and drawings, in early 20th century photography, and then extensively in the substantial O’Kelly excavation archive. There is no question that the roof box is a modern construct or invention; indeed the O’Kelly archive allows us to carefully compare the roof box before and after restoration”.
The excavation and reinstatement carried out by Professor Michael O’Kelly were fully recorded and include detailed drawings and photographic images. Professor O’Kelly archives are fully available to consult upon request from the National Monuments Service Archives, Dept of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs

I admit I am puzzled about all this as the Irish Times describes Michael Gibbons as "an independent archaeologist based in Connemara, a former co-director of the OPW National Sites and Monuments Record Office." Lots of questions but unfortunately don't know who would be willing to answer them.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 22, 2016, 23:10
Thanks for posting their response June , I missed it , possibly because of lack of twitter fu .

The Gibbon(s) paper is titled "The Brú: A Hiberno-Roman Cult Site at Newgrange?, " . Doesn't come across as quite so strident as the I.T. quotes . A read of that might help . Or maybe it's a case of the I.T. cynically exaggerating . Interestingly he conducted tours at Newgrange :walkingireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/downloadable-PDF.pdf
Wonder what he said then ?
To be fair to O' Kelly the pre-excavation images show the roof box at a height that must must be close to , if not exactly the same , post excavation height above the floor of the passage .
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 23, 2016, 14:32
tiompan wrote:
Thanks for posting their response June , I missed it , possibly because of lack of twitter fu .

The Gibbon(s) paper is titled "The Brú: A Hiberno-Roman Cult Site at Newgrange?, " . Doesn't come across as quite so strident as the I.T. quotes . A read of that might help . Or maybe it's a case of the I.T. cynically exaggerating . Interestingly he conducted tours at Newgrange :walkingireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/downloadable-PDF.pdf
Wonder what he said then ?
To be fair to O' Kelly the pre-excavation images show the roof box at a height that must must be close to , if not exactly the same , post excavation height above the floor of the passage .

He gave a couple of radio interviews where he stated fairly plainly that he thought the roofbox was a fraud. He also said to me that he is basing this on a lack of photographs in the book apart from one from an overhead angle and, according to him, all the other photos and notes are locked away from the public.

He's wrong on both claims, the roofbox is visible even in antiquarian drawings, Beranger even gave it a separate sketch in his 1775 drawing of Newgrange. The O'Kelly archive has been available to the public for several years now and anyone can view it by appointment. In there are several photos of the roofbox after the cairn covering it had been removed, and again after restoration. A nice photo of it in its original state was also included in the exhibition on the excavations that was in the visitor centre for a few years.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 23, 2016, 14:53
Actually, on looking at the Beranger sketch again, it could be the tomb entrance itself he drew, the measurements he gives would be due to the build up of stone and earth in the entrance area?
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index