Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Cumbria »
Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
Sep 30, 2010, 14:34
StoneGloves wrote:
Never mind the Simpsons - could you fancy (and perhaps measuring) the four-poster on the outskists of Alston? If I knew you were going - sometime - then I'd post an accurate locational aerial image. I intended to go this summer but am having difficulty walking - need bionic intervention probably - and so didn't get there. It's listed here as Whitehouse and that's the only known photograph, so far. It could be the smallest four-poster known, and is an outlier to a 75m circle a couple of miles away, across the border in Northumbria. (Whitehouse has an SMR number but an unlisted, and unvisited, large round barrow not far away)...

Thanks David,
I have no plans to venture north of Cross Fell this year.
Hope you recover soon.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 30, 2010, 17:03
The summer Wrights' bus ended on Sunday. I'd watched it through the summer and it had only had one or two passengers, at the most. So it's unlikely it'll be there next year. It looks as though I need a titanium ankle - I don't know how long that'll take. It was landing badly from a style, carrying a portable cup marked stone that caused the damage, and then walking on it for the next three months. Nice stone ! My friend that used to take me out in his car died a couple of years ago - of exhaust fumes. I did take some pictures of Whitehouse, with him, years ago, but that camera's exposure was stuck on 1\60th, and I didn't know then, and it was early on a winter's morning, but there may be some information on the negatives, if I could find them. I have two pictures taken from the bus; one's blurred and the other is distant. There's a long barrow in the Thornhope valley that isn't recorded, as I don't know which photograph (of two) it is nor its exact location. I've not put the Coanwood long barrow on the SMR yet - there's a couple of stones (3) that need including with it, and there are no photographs of them. All my complaints about the shooting roads, in the SSSI, are electronic and suitable for someone to peruse and write an article for Private Eye, or similar. Essay writing competition? But with the White Sultan (q.v.) in the story anyone getting an article published would become washed up and - whatever ...
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 01, 2010, 08:51
Creyr wrote:
I shall be watching Michael Wood later for more inspiration

Michael Wood never fails to inspire me ;-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 04, 2010, 19:34
Megalithics wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
Never mind the Simpsons - could you fancy (and perhaps measuring) the four-poster on the outskists of Alston? If I knew you were going - sometime - then I'd post an accurate locational aerial image.

We're reasonably close to Alston and could fit it into our visiting list for this year. Unfortunately the Cumbrian SMR isn't on-line like the Northumbrian one and we couldn't get any details, so any hints location-wise would be appreciated. The smallest four poster we have visited is probably Fontburn, one of the axes there is barely over 2m.

Maggie & Keith

See http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/tma/topic/49783/flat/20/

btw Gordon if you are reading this ,no sign of "growing out of it ",in fact it's much worse .
Megalithics
199 posts

Oct 04, 2010, 20:15
StoneGloves wrote:
Never mind the Simpsons - could you fancy (and perhaps measuring) the four-poster on the outskists of Alston? If I knew you were going - sometime - then I'd post an accurate locational aerial image.

We're reasonably close to Alston and could fit it into our visiting list for this year. Unfortunately the Cumbrian SMR isn't on-line like the Northumbrian one and we couldn't get any details, so any hints location-wise would be appreciated. The smallest four poster we have visited is probably Fontburn, one of the axes there is barely over 2m.

Maggie & Keith
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Oct 04, 2010, 20:22
Thank you - give me 24 hours to produce an image. It's next to the main road and so easily found.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Oct 04, 2010, 21:03
I almost got it to work, I could see all the sites on the map? but when I wanted to know what they were, it crashed
http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/planning-environment/countryside/historic-environment/HER_online.asp
Creyr
Creyr
114 posts

Oct 05, 2010, 08:36
Thanks for the HLF tip - i will look into that.
Creyr
Creyr
114 posts

Fitz's Shap blog and a talk on Prehistoric Shap
Oct 05, 2010, 08:43
Hi Fitz - i just reread your blog. Well worth further perusal. Great stuff - thanks for that.
Much more mooching round the land is in order I think.

Shap local history society have a talk on Oct 25th - Prehistoric Shap by Gabriel Blamires (wrote the axe factory pointer stones book). So I'm hoping I have the time to be there and bend a few ears over cups of tea afterwards.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Fitz's Shap blog and a talk on Prehistoric Shap
Oct 05, 2010, 12:11
thanks Claire,
could you drop me your contact details to my name at hotmail dot com

cheers
f
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index