Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 05, 2010, 10:12
nigelswif wrote:
Despite having suggested you can't put percentages on unknowns I reckon it's 99.999% certain there were pre-existing Stonehenge-type timber monuments.
You'd have to be seriously tapped to construct tongue and groove and mortise and tenon joints in massive sarsens without having first learned to create them in wood!

I agree.. timber lintels would have been a good idea from a purely structural stability point of view, too, but unless we happen to find a timber circle-henge sunken in some peat bog we'll never know for sure.... My problem has always been why, since the geographical spread of circle-henge is pretty wide, is Stonehenge the only one with stone lintels? Did everyone else think 'barmy chieftain so and so is SO old school .. I mean, have you seen his big effort he's putting up to try and rival Avebury. Now there's a proper temple... muppet'

The evidence would therefore seem to be that the Stonehenge builders were totally out of synch with general perception. Could this trait have also led them to some insanely extravagant public show of bringing stones all the way from Preseli? It would take a nutter to do something that barmy, I guess.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index