Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2010, 14:16
Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 03, 2010, 12:51
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, but, that was the Romans. That was their style. Stonehenge was made by other people. Out of their heads on something. Maybe bloodlust! And then there was the pyramids - there's some effort there ...

The point I was hoping to make was yes, 'That was the Romans. That was their style', but I'd suggest the Romans had little more at their disposal for moving stuff around than the builders of Stonehenge. Sure, the Romans had better roads, better carriages, ships and maybe more people they could count on, but things were still moved from A to B as they always had been; ie using manpower, animal power and the elements - and that didn't change until the Industrial Revolution. In other words, the Romans were still using the same basic methods of transportation as had been used elsewhere for millennia.

Perhaps it's also a mistake to think that, because Stonehenge predates the Pantheon by a couple of thousand years, the methods of transporting stones to Stonehenge were not as good as Roman methods. The Stonehenge builders knew their material (probably better than the Romans ever did) and they knew how to move it. Anyone who's ever stood by the Diamond, Devil's Chair or Cove stones at Avebury can but marvel that those stony fellas were moved at all, let alone transported for miles and then stood up!

It's an arrogance on our part to think the Bluestones could not have been moved manually from Wales (and I'm not suggesting that is what you are saying Brian) because of course they could have been. I have to say, though, that after a recent visit to the Preseli Mountains myself it brought into sharp focus what an astonishing fete moving stones from there to Stonehenge must have been. As Nigel has said elsewhere, "Not bad for “howling barbarians” Prof Atkinson!" :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index