Trevethy Quoit

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wychburyman
951 posts

Trevethy Quoit
Jul 28, 2010, 14:19
Hello neighbours

Whilst in Cornwall a few weeks ago I spent a day chasing stones, of which Trevethy was one of the highlights.

I perchanced upon an interesting gentleman by the name of Dave Cane (or Kane). A quirky sort of fellow who had apparently spent 20 years studying what he saw was various alignments of the Quoit. He didn't accept it was a burial chamber and felt it was for various astronomical predictions. We must have chatted away for an hour or more.

I just wonder if anyone has heard of him and his theories and what they think of them.

Thanks
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2010, 00:08
Re: Trethevy Quoit
Jul 28, 2010, 16:36
I've not heard of him, Mr Wychers. Glad you enjoyed the burial chamber! ;^)

love

Moth
Megalithics
199 posts

Re: Trevethy Quoit
Jul 28, 2010, 17:42
Well, if it's not a burial chamber, it's certainly doing a pretty good impersonation of a Cornish variant portal tomb.

Maggie & Keith
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 19:57
wychburyman wrote:
Hello neighbours

Whilst in Cornwall a few weeks ago I spent a day chasing stones, of which Trevethy was one of the highlights.

I perchanced upon an interesting gentleman by the name of Dave Cane (or Kane). A quirky sort of fellow who had apparently spent 20 years studying what he saw was various alignments of the Quoit. He didn't accept it was a burial chamber and felt it was for various astronomical predictions. We must have chatted away for an hour or more.

I just wonder if anyone has heard of him and his theories and what they think of them.

Thanks

Never met David Cane but when I visited Trevethy Quoit last week I met a chap called Clifford Kempthorne - an older local man who was well into matriarchal and pagan ideas.

His theory (or preferred interpretation maybe) was that it served as a communal burial chamber which would be accessed on a yearly basis to inter the ashes of the local dead (cremated after a sky burial) with men having the smaller, rear, chamber and women the larger forward chamber, "cos they were in charge in those days," accessed through the cut stone. He thought there may have been a, "slider," against the rear.
Megalithics
199 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 21:25
fauny fergus wrote:
with men having the smaller, rear, chamber and women the larger forward chamber,

Err, in common with most portal tombs, Trevethy has only one chamber, unless he is considering the external area contained by the flankers as a "front" chamber.

Maggie & Keith
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2010, 22:04
Jul 28, 2010, 22:03
Megalithics wrote:
fauny fergus wrote:
with men having the smaller, rear, chamber and women the larger forward chamber,

Err, in common with most portal tombs, Trevethy has only one chamber, unless he is considering the external area contained by the flankers as a "front" chamber.

Maggie & Keith

Hey man, I'm only the messenger. His argument was that the front chamber (by his reckoning) is the space that would have been enclosed by the fallen/leaning stone and would have been accessible from the rear chamber that was formed by a sliding stone (presumably lost to antiquity) or maybe wooden access door. There's a description of it here: http://www.megalithics.com/england/trevethy/trevmain.htm that mentions the 'antechamber'.

Or, from http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/history/sites/trethevy_quoit.htm :

Cornwall Guide wrote:

Erected in the early Neolithic period (c3500BC), and originally partially covered by a mound, Trethevy Quoit is unusual because not only does it have 6 supporting stones forming its internal chamber, but it was also constructed with an antechamber (although only one of the two original stones still remains). The only other Cornish quoit to boast two chambers is Lanyon Quoit.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Jul 29, 2010, 09:10
Not heard of the gent....not sure about his idea........I think he's on his own there!
...but, we all have our own theorys..and isn't that the great thing about prehistoric sites...we may never know the truth.

Glad you enjoyed Cornwall!

Mr H
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 29, 2010, 10:30
I thought it was just a place you go to eat your sandwiches.

:o/
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 29, 2010, 13:42
neighbourofthedrude wrote:

I did that an' all
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 29, 2010, 13:46
wychburyman wrote:
neighbourofthedrude wrote:

I did that an' all

Thought you might !

PLEASE TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME.

:o)
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index