Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 119 20 21 22 23 24 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 09:21
Portal to the Heritage of Astronomy
Sep 21, 2012, 09:17
Portal to the Heritage of Astronomy offers a, “Welcome to the new integrated web portal for the Astronomy and World Heritage Initiative, launched on August 24, 2012 during the sessions of the IAU’s Astronomy and World Heritage Working Group at the 28th IAU General Assembly in Beijing, China. We encourage professional users to register and log in in order to view detailed information on preparing a nomination dossier, and to trial the on-line forum facilities.

See also UNESCO’s Astronomy and World Heritage Thematic Initiative.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Topographic representation of Stonehenge
Sep 22, 2012, 16:40
Topographic representation of Stonehenge at the British Museum.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

The Ogham Stones of Cornwall and Devon
Nov 25, 2012, 12:17
The Ogham Stones of Cornwall and Devon.

Also features...

The Ogham Stones of Wales
The Ogham Stones of Scotland
The Ogham Stones of the Isle of Man
The Ogham Stones of Ireland
The Ogham Stones of Elsewhere

...and includes plenty of pics, maps, history and descriptions.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The Ogham Stones of Cornwall and Devon
Nov 25, 2012, 13:30
Littlestone wrote:
The Ogham Stones of Cornwall and Devon.

Also features...

The Ogham Stones of Wales
The Ogham Stones of Scotland
The Ogham Stones of the Isle of Man
The Ogham Stones of Ireland
The Ogham Stones of Elsewhere

...and includes plenty of pics, maps, history and descriptions.

We're better known for our 'Swinging Weather Stones' down here in Cornwall LS. Most country houses have them and they have never been known to fail.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treehouse1977/6090079129/

I'll get my coat :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 14:24
Re: The Ogham Stones of Cornwall and Devon
Nov 25, 2012, 14:23
We're better known for our 'Swinging Weather Stones' down here in Cornwall LS. Most country houses have them and they have never been known to fail.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treehouse1977/6090079129/

I'll get my coat :-)

Chuckle... we’ll stick with our seaweed – can always eat it if doesn’t perform weather-wise :-)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: The History of Heritage
Jan 24, 2013, 13:38
Not a blog more a research paper into the above subject with Avebury being part of the research. A different interpretation of how we 'approach' history through memory.... scroll down about one-third for Avebury bit....

http://kodu.ut.ee/~cect/teoreetilised%20seminarid_2010/etnoloogia_uurimisr%C3%BChma_seminar/Harvey-The_History_of_Heritage.pdf

"as Morris and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) that a concern for preservation (as opposed to restoration or ‘reconstitution’) comes. This tacit regard for absolute authenticity in one form or another has, in many respects, become one of the main touchstones (and some would say, red herrings) in heritage discussion ever since – and one which viewing heritage as a present-centred process in whatever age seeks to bypass (see, for instance, Harvey, 2001; Hewison, 1987).
It is perhaps ironic that many modern conservation lobbies and societies inherited William Morris’s ideals of artefactual authenticity without his distinct dislike of many of the (Georgian and Victorian) artefacts and buildings that they now seek to conserve. Indeed, the invocation of absolute artefactual authenticity is more usually associated with conservative and reactionary social attitudes."
VBB
558 posts

Re: The History of Heritage
Jan 24, 2013, 14:01
moss wrote:
Not a blog more a research paper into the above subject with Avebury being part of the research. A different interpretation of how we 'approach' history through memory.... scroll down about one-third for Avebury bit....

http://kodu.ut.ee/~cect/teoreetilised%20seminarid_2010/etnoloogia_uurimisr%C3%BChma_seminar/Harvey-The_History_of_Heritage.pdf

"as Morris and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) that a concern for preservation (as opposed to restoration or ‘reconstitution’) comes. This tacit regard for absolute authenticity in one form or another has, in many respects, become one of the main touchstones (and some would say, red herrings) in heritage discussion ever since – and one which viewing heritage as a present-centred process in whatever age seeks to bypass (see, for instance, Harvey, 2001; Hewison, 1987).
It is perhaps ironic that many modern conservation lobbies and societies inherited William Morris’s ideals of artefactual authenticity without his distinct dislike of many of the (Georgian and Victorian) artefacts and buildings that they now seek to conserve. Indeed, the invocation of absolute artefactual authenticity is more usually associated with conservative and reactionary social attitudes."

That whole volume is worth reading, there is a copy online: Ashgate Research Companion to Heritage and Identity (2008).
Rhiannon
5291 posts

ARCHI worldwide sites
Feb 04, 2013, 08:58
http://www.digital-documents.co.uk/archi/archi_search_world.html
I had a link to this in my email this morning - it includes interesting natural places too like caves and waterfalls.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: ARCHI worldwide sites
Feb 04, 2013, 09:40
Rhiannon wrote:
http://www.digital-documents.co.uk/archi/archi_search_world.html
I had a link to this in my email this morning - it includes interesting natural places too like caves and waterfalls.

Haven't tried the caves and waterfalls yet Rhiannon, but when I put my post code in, came up with sites on a map but then you have to buy a subscription for information......
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Isle of Albion
May 21, 2013, 22:37
Isle of Albion. An excellent site that invites you to, "...look for the paths trod by our ancestors, for they lead to ancient places - places where the stones have stories for those with an ear to listen."
Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 119 20 21 22 23 24 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index