County Cork »
Yesterday I spent a week in Cork

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Yesterday I spent a week in Cork
Jun 24, 2002, 12:46
Well, it bloody well feels that way!! 42 sites in one day!! 8 circles, several alignments, a few tombs and 5 round towers for good measure.

19 hours on the road in total for a total headfuck of a day.

Ride On !! Cork. Ride On !! I reckon there's at least another 7-10 days worth of stuff to see down there even at that rate of consumption. It's truly unreal. Next time it's a two dayer with me tent.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: Yesterday I spent a week in Cork
Jun 24, 2002, 12:52
did you get to Dromberg?

That's the only site Burl recommends you take garlic with you to ...

RG
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Jun 24, 2002, 13:38
Eh up 4Ws - I see you picked up on my 'difficult to understand' comment about Templebryan. To be honest having left my compass, guidebooks, map and, most importantly, brain in the car (parked down in the village) I just didn't know what to make of it... The location didn't really speak to me and I was pretty embarrassed by the presence of JC too - it was less than 24hrs since he'd been stood before me, gurning, at the Cork gig, and so I felt a bit of an arse. Funny thing is we bumped into him again at Kealkil and felt totally comfortable with the situation.

I really wish I could go back to Cork soon and cover some more ground. It's such an amazing place. I'd definitely pay Templebryan another visit, I've read quite a bit more about it since, and have looked back before and been annoyed with myself for not taking it in properly.

Looking forward to seeing more of your Cork visit stuff. 42 sites in one day is pretty good going even by your standards!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 24, 2002, 14:10
Yup .. 42 - a new record for me :-)

I did do Drombeg and it's an unholy place indeed, but not through vampyric agents - just the fecking tourists with no clue or respect!!

At least they have taken the trouble to see a load of old stones I suppose.

One thing about Drombeg is that its size surprised me. None of the photos I've seen really portrayed the size of some of the stones. A fine place at the right time with the right people no doubt. I went to better though :-)
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Jun 24, 2002, 14:22
did you see the Dromberg cooking pot thing

bet they haven't got a Dragon though ...

RG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 24, 2002, 14:35
Nope - no dragons alas. I would have bloody loved a dragon meself.

I wanted to make a cup of tea in the cooking thing (Fulacht Fia - honest), but my zippo ran out while heating up rocks :-)
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index