Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sifaka
34 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2009, 14:26
'6,000-year-old tombs found next to Stonehenge'
Jun 13, 2009, 14:24
Anyone seen this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6463970.ece

Not quite "next to" Stonehenge, but anyway...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: '6,000-year-old tombs found next to Stonehenge'
Jun 13, 2009, 14:38
"Whether they are excavated will depend on local feeling, she says.
“We’re treading very carefully on the excavation issue,” Dr Wickstead said. “We want to be sure that it’s what people living in Damerham village want. It’s their heritage.”

I don't like the sound of that. Isn't it creating a difficulty and assigning rights that don't exist? Do the deeds of houses in Damerham include a right of ownership to the local archaeology and a veto over whether it's excavated? Is this a politically correct backwash from the Avebury re-burial consultation issue? Dig it up and stuff the locals says I - it's my heritage as much as theirs.... ;)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 13, 2009, 14:45
Send in Time Team. It'll be excavated in double quick time - and someone can put some more houses on top of it. And the local people will get on the telly. Everyone's a winner.

What can these grand neolithic tombs be anyway?
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

6,000-year-old tomb found next to Halliwell Road
Jun 13, 2009, 17:33
So is Hampshire just fifteen miles from Stonehenge? (Hempshire, etymolol).The approach of their County Archaeologist may be contrasted with that of the Gtr Manchester Unit. It's all in the public domain. Dig, for the sake of cultural continuity. The bones belong to the nation - genetically. Send them to Matt Ridley @ the Centre for Life.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: 6,000-year-old tomb found next to Halliwell Road
Jun 13, 2009, 19:36
Trouble is, Rhiannon's right, there are only two real options that would get an excavation funded - Time Team or a housing development. So that's dig it in 3 days or wreck it completely....
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 13, 2009, 21:21
these discoveries were part of a larger project underway this summer,
PeteG
http://www.damerhamarchaeology.org/index.html
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: 6,000-year-old tomb found next to Halliwell Road
Jun 13, 2009, 21:46
StoneGloves wrote:
So is Hampshire just fifteen miles from Stonehenge? (Hempshire, etymolol).

Don't think it's that close. This site isn't far from me, and I'm a good 45 minute drive from Stonehenge! I've not checked the map - it's possible it *is* that bit closer...

And I'm not sure your etymology's correct, SL... Hampshire used to be known as "Hantescire" (hence the abbreviation "Hants") but not sure what the origin of that is without looking it up... :)

G x
tonyh
247 posts

Edited Jun 14, 2009, 10:31
Jun 14, 2009, 10:23
Using GE I make it between 16-17 miles from Stonehenge to the Damerham site - Thats as the 'Crow Flies'..

But that, is Cranborne Chase. Maybe the new finds are further north?

Tony
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 14, 2009, 11:02
tonyh wrote:
Using GE I make it between 16-17 miles from Stonehenge to the Damerham site - Thats as the 'Crow Flies'..

But that, is Cranborne Chase. Maybe the new finds are further north?

Tony

I make it near Stapleton Farm SU 08869 15389 .
Let's hope the they don't finish up with egg on faces ,as it seems to be entirely based on geophys .
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index