The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
True date to celebrate Beltaine

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Re: True date to celebrate Beltaine
Apr 16, 2009, 14:24
No, that's not the reason. The reason is that people are visiting the sites in the late morning, or in the afternoon, because that time is convenient to them. Also there are only a handful of people that are actually bothered about the original intention of the builders - perhaps only a hundred in the entire country - and everyone else - those flourescent cagouled photographers - are just 'into the vibe'. In a way, experiencing these phenomena, with all the pain and tribulations of getting there, under the right conditions, is an initiation into (some of) the ways of the ancient folk. It's a pity there aren't more like-minded souls but the priestly caste has always been a minority! Watching the stuff on film (DVD) is just deeply sad ...
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Apr 16, 2009, 17:49
tiompan wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
astro353 wrote:
Thanks for that if you hear of any more let me know, the new agers can get a bit funny if you bring this up, I wonder how many are being missed because nothing happens on May 1st

Astro, how big is the difference say in the sun rising between May 1st and May 5th for instance, in terms of sun widths (if that makes sense).
For instance I hear that at winter solstice the sun rises in pretty much the same spot for 3 mornings in a row, would this be similar at Beltaine or vastly different?

Between 1and 5 May the sun is moving at a constant speed rising in a different point of the horizon each one sucessively further west but at the solstice it has reached it's maximum eastern or western setting and is about to change direction giving the impression staying in much the same place .

So in other words there would be a big difference in its rising point at this time of year?

At this time of year the sun is moving about half a degree westwards as seen from it's rising point on the horizon .which coincidentally is much the same as it 's width . So a suns width every day until June when it slows a bit .

One last query (that i can think of right now) is the sun moving further sun each day at this time of year?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 16, 2009, 19:22
bawn79 wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
astro353 wrote:
Thanks for that if you hear of any more let me know, the new agers can get a bit funny if you bring this up, I wonder how many are being missed because nothing happens on May 1st

Astro, how big is the difference say in the sun rising between May 1st and May 5th for instance, in terms of sun widths (if that makes sense).
For instance I hear that at winter solstice the sun rises in pretty much the same spot for 3 mornings in a row, would this be similar at Beltaine or vastly different?

Between 1and 5 May the sun is moving at a constant speed rising in a different point of the horizon each one sucessively further west but at the solstice it has reached it's maximum eastern or western setting and is about to change direction giving the impression staying in much the same place .

So in other words there would be a big difference in its rising point at this time of year?

At this time of year the sun is moving about half a degree westwards as seen from it's rising point on the horizon .which coincidentally is much the same as it 's width . So a suns width every day until June when it slows a bit .

One last query (that i can think of right now) is the sun moving further sun each day at this time of year?

Bawn ,assuming you mean moving south then no it's moving north until the summer solstice when it will start back heading south until it reaches it max at winter solstice .
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Apr 16, 2009, 21:41
If you think about it sideways - the cross-quarter days are when the apparent daily solar motion, on the horizon, is at its mean value.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index