Megaliths in America!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aaroneous
aaroneous
18 posts

Megaliths in America!
Nov 19, 2008, 00:00
Well, it's been a while, but I thought I'd post here because you all would know far more about this than I . In an attempt to plunge the depths of my book collection (culled from street vendors, used bookstores, and un-returned friend loans for my entire adult life), I've taken to closing my eyes and thrusting my hand at a random book, then reading at least 2 chapters before bed.

The one I chose a week ago was the following:

"The Search For Lost America: Mysteries of the Stone Ruins in the United States" by Salvatore Michael Trento

Basically, the gist is that there are stone slabs with Celtic markings in New York, Punic (Phoenician) markings on slabs in Pennsylvania, reports of burial mounds, ancient solar observatories, and everything we'd expect to find in a Megalithic site in Europe or the UK, except they're on the east coast of America, and have no connection to the aboriginal native americans. The archaeological community has taken a blind eye to this as it contradicts the idea that the Spanish or Vikings were the first to visit.

Any of you have experience or knowledge you'd like to share? Maybe the heads in the States can get Julian a visa if he's here for "research purposes" (!!)
dee
1955 posts

Re: Megaliths in America!
Nov 19, 2008, 13:40
Soundsm fascinating, im off to check that book out!!!
GordonP
474 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 19:37
A friend of mine can tell you a lot about American megaliths. See www.Bigstones.com. Rob has also written a book about stone circles though it may now only be available through his website.

It is becoming increasingly accepted that people of European stock were in America long before the native Indians entered via the Bering Straits. Although no one seems willing to go on record and state this as a fact.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 20:15
GordonP wrote:
A friend of mine can tell you a lot about American megaliths. See www.Bigstones.com. Rob has also written a book about stone circles though it may now only be available through his website.

It is becoming increasingly accepted that people of European stock were in America long before the native Indians entered via the Bering Straits. Although no one seems willing to go on record and state this as a fact.

Because it's not a fact, it's a theory based on too little evidence.

There is no denying that there were adventurers in the distant past who surpassed our rather insultingly limited notions about how human beings got around then. And it's entirely possible that there were Phoenicians and so on making very limited appearances here. There's a book out that makes a strong claim that the Micmac Indians of the Northeast encountered (and borrowed) Chinese culture.

But to say that Europeans were in America 'long before the natives entered via the Bering Straits' is a pretty tall claim. Not to mention that it's often used, of course, as grounds by some to affirm a dominant white 'manifest destiny'.

And of course, there's cultural bias in seeing megaliths as being 'European', just like the arrogant idea some have that the Mayans must have got their idea to build pyramids from the Egyptians (as if somehow basic geometry escaped all other cultures!).

Like in England, many sites were destroyed by Xtians... stones taken for buildings and such. Those that remain in the northeast are rare, but some still survive.
GordonP
474 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 21:06
There is some pretty strong evidence if you know where to look, The Dolman at North Salem Westchester County New York, a massive 90-ton stone shaped like a turtles head supported clear of the ground by 4 to 6 standing stones. Described officially as glacial erratics, some very clever glacier.

The Eye Chamber near Carmel Putman County New York, described as a colonial root cellar. Yet lined up with winter sunrise on December 22.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 21:15
GordonP wrote:
There is some pretty strong evidence if you know where to look, The Dolman at North Salem Westchester County New York, a massive 90-ton stone shaped like a turtles head supported clear of the ground by 4 to 6 standing stones. Described officially as glacial erratics, some very clever glacier.

There's a very nice fat glacial erratic on a tall plinth near Kenmare in Co. Kerry which is entirely natural. When you consider how the boulders may have been transported in the glacier then dumped as the ice melted, there's fairly good odds a large boulder will rest on a pile of rocks which are then trapped as the surrounding boulders are washed away, leaves a convincing looking 'dolmen'. I've seen pics of the 'dolmen' in question and it looks like natural causes is very probable.

GordonP wrote:
The Eye Chamber near Carmel Putman County New York, described as a colonial root cellar. Yet lined up with winter sunrise on December 22.

The sun moves at a pace along the horizon that's pretty near imperceptible around the solstice so it could well be up to two weeks off at either side. How long is the 'cellar'?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2008, 21:51
Nov 19, 2008, 21:45
My question is why is it assumed that megalithic constructions in North America are European in origin?

The idea of moving big stones into meaningful configurations isn't exactly an idea with a trademark on it.

BTW-personal story... when I was a kid in Storrs, Connecticut me and my friends would often go down into the woods to a pond where there are some earth mounds.
Many years later, was back there and discovered one of the mounds had a stone chamber under it... the ceiling had collapsed. Makes me wonder if some of the other mounds there are hiding underground chambers?
There are many of these still yet to be identified, no doubt. There's a lot of mystery about many sites like this... are they pre-colonial, or just forgotten storage bins built by white colonists?
GordonP
474 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 21:49
A corballed stone cellar 28ft from entrance to natural spring at the back.

One of three on the same hillside. The one at the bottom of the hill is orientated 11 degrees differently from the top one and it is possible to witness the same event 40 mins later in the bottom chamber.

Root Cellars?
GordonP
474 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 21:52
Something about 10,000 year old arrow heads I believe to a design common to southern France.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 19, 2008, 22:14
I don't know... I find a lot of these broad assertions about prehistory based on arrowhead designs, etc. to be sketchy 'proof' of anything. Simultaneous development by disparate cultures produced lots of similar tools and such. Flint flakes off a certain way... it's not really a stretch at all to imagine that the same technique for shaping stones was 'discovered' by tribes around the planet who never made contact with each other.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index