The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Museum Film Installations

8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: Museum Film Installations
Nov 06, 2008, 14:34
What an interesting subject to research!

Two contrasting examples linked in other ways would be the loop of Alexander Keiller in the Great Barn at Avebury, which appears to draw young people through its flickering images and sounds, plus the nearby interactive displays. The loop itself is a taster and gives a flavour of historic faces and movement, a theatre of pastness transported to the present. The screen situation is more a modern 'What the butler saw' than a cinema screen, the space around it has a cosy intimate atmosphere despite being in a huge barn. Having witnessed groups watching the show on several occasions it is reminiscent of those crowding round the only TV in a street when England won the World Cup Final in 1966.
In comparison no-one seemed that interested in the add-on 'telly' stuck on a jutting wall in Salisbury & South Wilts Museum for the recent Stonehengeania exhibition, where priceless moving images were aired at an uncomfortable height and angle on a smart modern LCD (I think), and the loop so long and laboured it was dissuasive of watching all the loop had to offer. Admittedly I only visited it once, but did watch the whole loop which no-one else did whilst I was there. Can understand why, the Orwell ‘Winston Smith experience’ TV wall didn’t work well.

That exhibition has moved to Chippenham and then goes to Devizes so it will be interesting to see if it improves depending on the surrounds.

You might contact the curators at each place and ask if they had any feedback.

BTW If you put your email address on here people might mail you with stuff they don't want to air on the web.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index