Museum Film Installations

8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sam
sam
151 posts

Re: Museum Film Installations
Nov 04, 2008, 23:57
I've seen the one in Cardiff - at least I have if it is the one that was on when they did the architecture of death. My main problem with the film (and in fact all the ones I've seen) are that they are an attempt to make museums all modern and exciting, whereas what I actually want is to see more "stuff".

The one at Cardiff did have pictures of tombs, and it was fun to do the "been there" game. Overall though I don't think it added anything to the subject for beginners - just a load of pictures - nor to the more knowledgeable visitors, so not really much point.

I find ones with sound particularly annoying - they distract me as I go round, and if you spend a while in one room, there is only so many times that you can hear the same spiel without wanting to kill the kid that keeps pressing the buttons to make it play.

Basically, I want less films and interaction, and more old things. I went to Kents Cavern, and then to the Torquay museum to see some of the 15,000 finds there. Except that the museum doesn't have them on display - they have films, and they have copies of the type of skis that some explorers might have used on an expedition.

One that did help was the one at the Hunebedden centre - showed the importance of boulders. As someone from the Peak District, stones don't really seem that important (you don't go "oh, look a stone") - but if you live in Holland, anything that isn't sand is pretty important. And my mum liked the film in the Rocs aux Sorciers in Poitou-Charentes. So some films can be good.

My opinion - not really a huge fan of films...

hope that helps

sam

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index