Yellowmead Stone Circle. Dartmoor

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Edited Oct 22, 2008, 17:40
Yellowmead Stone Circle. Dartmoor
Oct 22, 2008, 17:39
I'm just back form a walk to Drizzlecombe and the circle and see that a trench has been cut across the two outer rings of the circle and another just beside where the row descends down hill from it. The turfs have been replaced over the trenches. The local farmer said people were digging there last week. Does anyone know who they might have been?
It would be very interesting to find out if it is a cairn or a circle.
I will make a few inquiries locally as well and post what I find , if anything.

Peace , Lubin
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: Yellowmead Stone Circle. Dartmoor
Oct 25, 2008, 22:52
Lubin wrote:
I'm just back form a walk to Drizzlecombe and the circle and see that a trench has been cut across the two outer rings of the circle and another just beside where the row descends down hill from it. The turfs have been replaced over the trenches. The local farmer said people were digging there last week. Does anyone know who they might have been?
It would be very interesting to find out if it is a cairn or a circle.
I will make a few inquiries locally as well and post what I find , if anything.

Peace , Lubin

Hi Lubin,

We were out that way back earlier in the year, and a couple of folk were doing what looked like a form of ground penetrating radar.... very organised, and - IIRC - from a University or somesuch. Intrigued to find out more.

As far as the cairn/circle debate about this one, I've always thought that burying four rings of stones was a bit of overkill.... but the consensus is that this WAS a cairn. Restored by the Dartmoor Exploration Committee?

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Re: Yellowmead Stone Circle. Dartmoor
Oct 26, 2008, 16:51
Hi Pilgrim,
The people doing the excavation a were from Bournemouth Uni, so I have been told. They have found a few things , socket holes and a buried stone possibly from the row I think they said. As usual I seemed to have missed out by a week as it was the week previous that they were there. They were doing geo and radar I think. The first time it has been used out there . We will have to wait for the report to find out what they think. I'm go along with the idea of a cairn, obvious kerb stones on the inner ring surrounded by some circles but as it has been restored who can really say with out extensive work on the site.

Peace , Lubin
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index