The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stones on PD James book cover

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Re: Stones on PD James book cover
Oct 08, 2008, 22:31
Whitehouse, Alston, has a smaller diameter than Strone Hill (gt. pictures) but the stones are larger. Also please see ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/romanywg/1373099372/in/set-72157601918239393/ ).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 08, 2008, 22:55
Stoneshifter wrote:
Whitehouse, Alston, has a smaller diameter than Strone Hill (gt. pictures) but the stones are larger. Also please see ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/romanywg/1373099372/in/set-72157601918239393/ ).

I have never heard of the Whitehouse four poster , a google search came up with nothing . Did mr Cauty discover it ?
Stoneshifter
379 posts

book cover
Oct 09, 2008, 09:52
No, the Cumbria SMR isn't online. It's a pity you don't have a YHA card as you could be the first person to photograph it properly. I've two photographs, taken from the bus, that have been deleted from this computer, but nobody else can be bothered to take a look at it. I went out once, with a friend and a decent camera, but the pictures on the early part of the roll of film didn't turn out at all. The English Heritage guidelines are useful - they suggest that four-posters often are up a height, looking north, near water, and this is certainly true of Whitehouse. There's a prominent barrow nearby, as well, that has neither been photographed nor entered on the SMR. I can provide eight figure map references and might get thee next summer. ( http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_larry_klein_doing/ )
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: book cover
Oct 09, 2008, 09:59
Stoneshifter wrote:
No, the Cumbria SMR isn't online. It's a pity you don't have a YHA card as you could be the first person to photograph it properly. I've two photographs, taken from the bus, that have been deleted from this computer, but nobody else can be bothered to take a look at it. I went out once, with a friend and a decent camera, but the pictures on the early part of the roll of film didn't turn out at all. The English Heritage guidelines are useful - they suggest that four-posters often are up a height, looking north, near water, and this is certainly true of Whitehouse. There's a prominent barrow nearby, as well, that has neither been photographed nor entered on the SMR. I can provide eight figure map references and might get thee next summer. ( http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_larry_klein_doing/ )

They are often low lying as well , dunno how you can tell a how four stones set around a rough circle can be ""looking north " .If it is to be the smaller than Strone Hill what is the diameter ?
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 09, 2008, 11:02
Looking north = on a slope. Diameter of Whitehouse is about two, two and a half metres. Chunky blocks of stone. I meant to walk to it this summer and to pick up the bus from beside but damaged an achilles tendon carrying a lump of rock in my rucsac and jumping off a style with it. I'll see if I can pick it up on FlashEarth - but it might take me a while.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 09, 2008, 11:24
Stoneshifter wrote:
Looking north = on a slope. Diameter of Whitehouse is about two, two and a half metres. Chunky blocks of stone. I meant to walk to it this summer and to pick up the bus from beside but damaged an achilles tendon carrying a lump of rock in my rucsac and jumping off a style with it. I'll see if I can pick it up on FlashEarth - but it might take me a while.

Strone Hill is 3m in diameter , it's the smallest recorded stone circle I know of in Britain . Maybe when Whitehouse gets recorded ,measured and shown to be a stone circle it will turn out to be smallest , until then I'm sticking with Strone Hill .
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 09, 2008, 11:42
I've posted a couple of pictures now. The notable thing about Tot's 4-Poster picture is the representation of a sheepfold - I was working on that years before Goldsworthy knew what one was. The stone I've described as an outlier I raised, with difficulty, and it was then pulled over the next winter. The plan of both arrangements of stone are difficult to fit to the circumference of a circle. But then they're only best guess four-poster circles at the moment. They remain tenuous until professionally surveyed and published. Check out the outliers to Whitehouse - there's another pair to the south too, but they're tiny.

!
gjrk
370 posts

Oct 09, 2008, 11:50
I might take a wander up there at some point over the winter to have a look, maybe fit in some of the other stuff you went to on that trip as well. My young lad has only tractors/machinery in his head so I'll have to keep it simple stone-wise ;)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 09, 2008, 11:58
gjrk wrote:
My young lad has only tractors/machinery in his head so I'll have to keep it simple stone-wise ;)

Snap . As a card carrying veggie/organic gardener I view it as rebellion .
gjrk
370 posts

Oct 09, 2008, 12:10
I'm told that they 'grow out of it' ...after a while!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index