Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2008, 00:17
Stones on PD James book cover
Oct 06, 2008, 00:15
Every time I've been in Waterstones recently, the bit of my brain which is apparently always on the lookout for old rocks, spots this cover.

Anybody recognise them? I can't think I've ever seen such an arrangement. They're just made up stones aren't they?
gjrk
370 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2008, 00:40
Re: Stones on PD James book cover
Oct 06, 2008, 00:38
Hi Hob

They do look a bit Irish Four-Posterish and they remind me a bit of:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/7469/cappaboy_beg_se.html

,but skinnier.

Can't remember that creepy house though.
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 06, 2008, 07:46
You wouldn't put a house there. And if the trees were there they'd be differently shaped, because of the wind. The four stones bear as much resemblance to a four-poster as Noddie's car does to yours. Have a look at the work of James Cauty. It is quite similar in style, but not content, to the artist that assembled the cover.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 06, 2008, 22:58
Stoneshifter wrote:
The four stones bear as much resemblance to a four-poster as Noddie's car does to yours.

As I have no car, that's quite a comparison. But you got to remember they do things differently in some places.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 06, 2008, 23:02
Aha, Ireland. Cheers g, I never thought of that.

I can definitely see the resemblance. Is that '1 tall stone' thing a common feature of the Irish 4 poster then? The only ones I've ever seen over here are quite stumpy.
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 06, 2008, 23:24
I have no car either - but I once had one that was very much like Noddie's. Never got it on the road. Yellow, no roof, which is where the idea will have come from. But 4-posters are made of paired stones, surely (& pls see Whitehouse as an eg). I've a little one on a windowsill that I rearrange - seems to be about squaring the circle - Whitehouse has two pairs of little outliers that would yield further clues. (But try this on your students - http://www.davidaspinall.co.uk/disperse/line!!cast_outtakes06.mp3 - it does have significant megalithic content).
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 07, 2008, 08:25
Stoneshifter wrote:
But 4-posters are made of paired stones, surely (& pls see Whitehouse as an eg).

'fraid not. Many four-posters have one stone that is taller than the other three. Granted, it is not usually as exaggerated as the one in that picture, but I believe a couple of the Scottish ones are. Most of the Irish ones are much smaller and closer in size. The taller stone is usually at the SW corner.
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 07, 2008, 09:53
Well, I've only ever seen two, both of which are now on the SMR and both of which I found, but here's what E.H. say about them - http://www.eng-h.gov.uk/mpp/mcd/fpost.htm
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Oct 07, 2008, 12:10
Yeah - I noticed this the other day an' all! I thought "someone on TMA is bound to know!" :D

I read the inner pages and it says the story is based in Dorset in a fictitious place. Obviously the stones aren't in Dorset, and it doesn't tell you where they actually are, frustratingly!

Another helpful posting! ;)

Anyone got PD James' phone number?

G x
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 07, 2008, 12:38
It's not Phyllis's number you need but the artist that put the book cover together!
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index