"Management"

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

"Management"
Aug 13, 2008, 09:59
This may be of interest....

http://www.savepenwithmoors.com/page7/page7.html

...the Natural England HEATH (Heathland, Environment, Agriculture, Tourism and Heritage) Project is putting forward a management proposal to improve the quality of the Nine Maidens Common at Boskednan near Newmill by fencing it off and grazing with cattle.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: "Management"
Aug 13, 2008, 12:57
I think Ocifant brought this up last year when news of the fencing in of Carn Kenidjack was first mooted. I am not sure I can see what the problem is...the land has open access...they can not close footpaths or stop access.

What's wrong with cattle? (don't answer that Ocifant) HEATH will make sure their numbers are kept down..what's the point of having great numbers of beasts trampling over an environment that is sensitive and HEATH are trying to protect? The problem we have on moorland in Cornwall is that animals have been taken off the moor and this has allowed the vegetation to grow up and there are fears it will damage archaeology.

Are you going to tell me that in the 4000 years or so since many of these monuments were erected no cattle have grazed these upland areas?.

Fences or no fences people should not let dogs run around near young animals...and are best kept away from full size ones to..

There is more damage done in that area from 4x4s and bikers than will ever be done by cattle...the fencing will hopefully keep them out.

There is no suggestion that the Men an Tol will be enclosed.

Where is the link to HEATHs proposals?

Its here..http://www.theheathproject.org.uk/

I am not sticking up for HEATH but in my opinion they are doing this to improve things. They work closely with Cornwall Wildlife Trust, AONB and the Historical Enviroment team, see http://www.theheathproject.org.uk/news.html?newsId=23&page=1

I don't really understand what this bunch are getting so worked up about....

Mr H (in soggy Cornwall)
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 13:00
Read this....

http://www.theheathproject.org.uk/content_pdf/en/Managing_Archaeology_booklet1217253463.pdf
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 14:27
Hi Mr.Hamhead, it seems there is a certain amount of local opposition to having the moors fenced off, a bit like the old enclosure act of the 18th century.
I think it all boils down to the freedom to roam without there being fences, gates, and cattle grids. I know there is a bit of Cornish nationalism down there ;), and I suspect those of us who would visit stones in far away places will have to put up with bullocks and cross female cows and their young but you know the area so are the expert on this one.... this is the news briefing....

http://www.savepenwithmoors.com/page13/page13.html
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 15:30
...the land has open access...they can not close footpaths or stop access.

Hi Mr H.

Dunno what the situation is down your way but I know of one public footpath close to Avebury that's been closed to public access and I reckon there are peeps here who could add others in their area to the list. I might be overly suspicious but when I read of our historic/public/sacred places being fenced, closed or having a charged levied to access them, it seems like just another nail in the coffin of our civil liberties and a denial of our historic right of access (there are always exceptions to that of course and for reasons of conservation Silbury is one of them).

Like I say though, I don't know what the situation is down there, but if it ain't broke I reckon it's best not to try'n fix it.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 16:40
Well, I wouldn't say i'm an expert on all things West Penwith..and there are some important names on that short list of objectors who I would be happy to say know the area far better than me...

However I just feel they are going a little over the top. Nobody likes to see fences on open landscape but would we rather see a landscape covered in gorse and bracken that people can not walk through (which was my expierience last time i went walking down there).

There is no mention of stopping people accessing anywhere...as long as they do it legally. Do these people have a right to gallop their horses across the land?...not unless they are on a bridleway or they have permission from the landowner...would they be happy to see the local hunt up there?

As I said in my previous post, this should see the archaeology of West Penwith better preserved...as has already happened at Nine Stones...nobody is going to be stopped from visiting ancient sites..its just a perimeter fence being put up to stop the cattle getting into peoples' gardens and wandering off down the road to Penzance. I doubt if many people will even notice it after a year or so.

Mr H
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 17:44
There is no mention of stopping people accessing anywhere...as long as they do it legally. Do these people have a right to gallop their horses across the land?...not unless they are on a bridleway or they have permission from the landowner...would they be happy to see the local hunt up there?

Aye, yer right there Mr H. Flipping people driving 4x4s on the Ridgeway for example - gawd knows how they're allowed to get away with that! It's just that every time something's fenced off, or we're made to pay to get to it, we seem to lose a bit of our rightful link to the past. Take the Rollright Stones - last time I was there I had to pay a quid to get in; that's OK, don't mind paying a quid because it goes towards the upkeep of the place. The Kings Stone across the road though is fenced off so you can't touch it. So too the Whispering Knights along the path from the Rollright Stones. You hold the metal fence to get as close as you can but you can't get very close. Every time we do that (put something between us and our predecessors) we lose a little of the connection between them and us.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index