Brown Edge »
Xtian modern crosses at sites

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Xtian modern crosses at sites
Jul 24, 2008, 05:13
Okay I'll tackle a difficult subject.... They should'nt be there, and therefore can be removed. Apart from the fact that it's tacky, what on earth are people thinking that megalithic stone circles, barrows and standing stones need a superstitious relic from one religion placed on these sites.
Think if you read Julian Cope's TMA book Megadread, he seems to have always carried a plastic bag for removal of rubbish - if you prise the two pieces of wood apart they become just that two pieces of wood - symbolism destroyed...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Xtian modern crosses at sites
Jul 24, 2008, 09:29
Do you mean small crosses left there like offerings or big ones actually erected there some time ago? (I'm guessing you mean the former).
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jul 24, 2008, 09:36
moss wrote:
Okay I'll tackle a difficult subject.... They should'nt be there, and therefore can be removed. Apart from the fact that it's tacky, what on earth are people thinking that megalithic stone circles, barrows and standing stones need a superstitious relic from one religion placed on these sites.

Yeah, I would agree. Just to be a pedant though, the cross at Brown Edge is (or was) on top of the walker's cairn some distance from the circle/ring cairn itself and I'm sure whoever put it there was unaware that the circle even exisited as it's not obvious even when you're standing in it unless you know what you're looking at. It could be argued that the walker's cairn has been built on top of an existing prehistoric cairn as there is a cairnfield to the north but who knows. The cross does provide a visual guide from some distance away to get you close to the circle so in that respect it's actually quite useful! I've got no objections to it being where it is, live and let live and all that.

-Chris
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 24, 2008, 09:49
To answer your question Nigel, this is the photo of the cross,
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/1732
seems to have replaced an earlier one, there was also a lot of picnic rubbish at the site, which Megadread collected......
Did'nt realise the 'supposed cross' was on a walker's cairn come prehistoric cairn Chris, maybe its there for a different reason, did someone die up there? Wish I'd never started the thread now ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 24, 2008, 10:02
Ah, right. I guess Megadread summed it up - "Found someone decided to use some of the cairn stones for their own purpose"

but of course, certain questions need to be confronted :

Should it have been removed if it was only three inches high
and
Should it have been removed if it was a bunch of flowers?

;)
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jul 24, 2008, 10:30
Don't know why the cairn or the cross is there but have a look at this, there's a few suggestions in it (and we even get a mention) -

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-246686.html

-Chris
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 24, 2008, 12:33
It seems the rubbish, the hide structure and the cross appeared at the same time, leading me to believe the same people were responsible.
(some of the litter was within the structure under rocks)
I cant understand why anyone would go to the trouble of carrying a cross up there which must have a pretty deep meaning for them, then them to leave the site in such a state, total disrespect.
My thought was, if they cant respect the site then fook their silly cross, i threw it in the heather.
The old cross, thats a different story for me. It was there before i ever visited the site and i never even thought about moving it. i posted my first pic of the site showing the cross.
I don't think the guy with the shotgun built / had built the hide because it was really dangerously put together and partly collapsed when i removed the first rock. If a child had raced ahead of their parents whilst visiting to be the first to the site and touched the hide they may well have been badly hurt.
Also a geocache had been left there with the prize a japanese decorated box, this was smashed and strewn around, just like the keyring with the little paper tags they use, disrespect again to people using the site for fun and as a marker.
I carried away as much rubbish as i could fit into my rucksack as i forgot to pack a carrier bag, something i usually always do and have done.
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 24, 2008, 13:00
Could i just point out too, what would the reaction be if i drew a triple spiral or something similar on one of their churches.?
I don't expect for one minute it would be tolerated.!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index