wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Innuit Shaman at Kirkhaugh
Apr 14, 2008, 09:03
Dear Stoneshifter,

I think the image for:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4172/kirkhaugh.html

is probably an incorrectly uploaded image.

Unless of course it's an Innuit Shaman, which is a stunning contemporary ornament at a site. :-)

lots of love

WFx
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Re: Innuit Shaman at Kirkhaugh
Apr 14, 2008, 11:15
Well, perhaps it is incorrectly uploaded, I will agree there, but not for the reason you mention. Marilyn Whirlwind is neither Inuit nor a shaman, and I hoped that inspection of the ties holding her hair might shed light on the gold ornament that was excavated at Kirkhaugh in 1935. This ornament is the same as the pair that were found as gravegoods with the Amesbury Archer and are known from a few other burials. The curious thing, if I'm right, is that the pair with the Archer were described as being beside his jaw, which is where Marilyn is wearing them! (It doesn't explain why only one was found at Kirkhaugh though nor what happened to the other one).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 14, 2008, 11:23
Stoneshifter wrote:
Well, perhaps it is incorrectly uploaded, I will agree there, but not for the reason you mention. Marilyn Whirlwind is neither Inuit nor a shaman, and I hoped that inspection of the ties holding her hair might shed light on the gold ornament that was excavated at Kirkhaugh in 1935. This ornament is the same as the pair that were found as gravegoods with the Amesbury Archer and are known from a few other burials. The curious thing, if I'm right, is that the pair with the Archer were described as being beside his jaw, which is where Marilyn is wearing them! (It doesn't explain why only one was found at Kirkhaugh though nor what happened to the other one).

Ponytail ?
beatles
133 posts

Apr 14, 2008, 11:47
the thing this lady is wearing is a beaded hair tie. lots of indian women wear them. it is not metal. it is made of glass seed beads stitched to soft leather. it has cords on the back that are tied around the lady's braids. from the looks of this one and the color, my guess is that it is a haudenosaunee tribal flower design.

clyde
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Apr 14, 2008, 13:18
"Haudenosaunee" - well spotted. I wasn't too bothered in comparing the materials but simply the function and the way they're worn. Here's a long link to some information about the items in question ( http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5D2RVNM0TAQC&pg=PA518&lpg=PA518&dq=gold+basket+earrings&source=web&ots=F1_cmveYVB&sig=PDPBWAk8spFl8UUak2p66Xocyv4&hl=en ). The one in question is in a museum case about half a mile away and I go and look at it sometimes. The barrow it came from is on the periphery of a very large stone circle I've found - so it all fits together - and I guess one of the diggers snaffled the other one. Either that or it's still in the ground and waiting for a metal detectorist to locate it.
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Kirkhaugh nuff respect
Apr 14, 2008, 23:23
Wow! You live & learn. What a wonderful bunch of people you all are.
Lovely stuff.
WFxxx
beatles
133 posts

Re: Kirkhaugh nuff respect
Apr 15, 2008, 12:13
dear wysefool

i like your name. in the native american tradition, the fool ( wise fool, sacred clown, trickster, or heyoka) is a very sacred and special person. he often makes fun of the medicine men and elders just to teach them that no one is as important as they think they are. sacred clowns are much loved and revered. my father used to say ,that when "great medicine" shows itself, the medicine men and chiefs tremble in fear, but the sacred fool laughs.

clyde
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Hair Decoration from Kirkhaugh
Apr 15, 2008, 12:54
any chance of a 'crop' and 'close up' of it?

WFx
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Re: Hair Decoration from Kirkhaugh
Apr 15, 2008, 13:16
Ermmm. 'Crop' - I've been talking to the farmers and there's been a couple of nights of moderate frost in Kansas. Wheat'll sit through the winter an inch tall and doesn't mind being buried by snow but when it's growing, in the spring, doesn't want to see any frost at all - this same thing knacked the yields up last year and helped to trigger the price inflation. So it's the same again - no respite.

I have listed a bunch of sites that I've discovered in and around Kirkhaugh and then deleted them after getting petty criticism from various sources. It's very sad and, perhaps, the group apathy is worse. There's at least half a dozen contributors within striking distance of the sites and they can be bothered to go hundreds of miles to photograph carved rocks but not to travel fifty miles to help me bring these amazing and new places to the public's attention and care.

I'd just offered to repost a dozen of the major sites here again, but got no reply from the (Taurean) editors. So I just thought I'd provoke them slightly by posting an image to which I clearly have no copyright ownership. It's spot on topic - and a decent picture which I've cleaned up. But the real close-up we need is that of the Kirkhaugh hair ornament - which is ten minutes walk away for me - rather than one from Nez-Perce community.

And to anyone that's read this far - and has been following my stories - the old Mcr County Arch. has gone and the new one will now investigate my list of sites there. I'm not going to hold my breath but I have spent a day making the list for him.

(Too much information? Please call 0783 3548967 and ask for Lonesome Cowboy Burt).
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Re: Hair Decoration from Kirkhaugh
Apr 15, 2008, 13:47
Hiya Stoneshifter,

Didn't mean to open up a can of worms, was just interested. Think the link from TMA shows an hair ornament:

http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive/old_fotm/old_fotmap98/earring100.jpg

Impressive early metalwork, that's for sure! (I guess it's similar).

WFx
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index