14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2016, 16:27
Re: Skipsea now recognised as Iron age.
Oct 03, 2016, 16:12
Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised that if (big 'if' I know) they get to use ground penetrating radar or even dig it, that they find it's older still for all the reasons I stated above. Would be great if it could be linked to the Gyspy Race etc.... though of coarse, that is wild speculation.
I'm a firm believer that if we spend enough time out and about in the wilds, we develop a sense of what looks natural and what looks interfered with by human hand. I do believe that like Ainsworth, you can learn to 'read' a landscape, if only a little. Anyoo, well done you fer spotting/noting it's possibly older origins.

Anyhoo, a little off topic, but I read a review of this book by Nicolas Crane 'The Making Of The British Landscape: From the Ice Age to the Present' the other day, and sounds like it might be worth a punt. Have read a few of his books, and while I don't really like his presenter style on TV, have found him to be an honest and engaging writer.
I'm sure it covers similar topics to the Francis Pryor book 'The Making of the British Landscape: How We Have Transformed the Land, from Prehistory to Today', so takes yer pick. I'm sure both follow in the footsteps of W G Hodgkis 'The Making of the English Landscape', but obvs cover Scotland, Wales and Possibly Ireland, as well as the myriad of Islands in our not so little archipelago.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/sep/30/making-of-british-landscape-nicholas-crane-review

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index