Standing with Stones DVD

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Creyr
Creyr
114 posts

Re: Standing with Stones DVD
Feb 08, 2008, 20:54
Excellent news - I've been looking forward to this since we bumped into you filming at Long Meg , must have been July, I remember casing you out to see if you were the types to object to our removal of tree litter/offerings...
Anyway Congrats on getting it out and its obviously marvellous seeing its going down so well on here. Im ordering a copy now in time for my megalith buddy's Birthday. and wondering when I can get to Bryn Celli Du.
Hope you sell loads, cover your costs and make enough to make part 2...and 3....and....
Best Wishes
cx
Michael Bott
60 posts

Feb 08, 2008, 21:49
Creyr wrote:
Excellent news - I've been looking forward to this since we bumped into you filming at Long Meg , must have been July, I remember casing you out to see if you were the types to object to our removal of tree litter/offerings...
Anyway Congrats on getting it out and its obviously marvellous seeing its going down so well on here. Im ordering a copy now in time for my megalith buddy's Birthday. and wondering when I can get to Bryn Celli Du.
Hope you sell loads, cover your costs and make enough to make part 2...and 3....and....
Best Wishes
cx

I remember it well. Lord, that was nearly a year ago, now. We were on the last leg of filming then, heading up North to Scotland and the Isles. Thanks for ordering and I hope you and your megalith buddy enjoy the DVD. Let us know what you think when you get to Bryn Celli Ddu.

Michael
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2008, 17:23
Feb 09, 2008, 10:41
The palisaded enclosures by Silbury have evidence of pig offerings in the post holes, quote from Whittles book on Silbury and Palisade enclosures, (Sacred Mounds, Holy Rings)

palisade posts indicate the immediacy of bone treatment. Cattle may have been valued for ritual and slaughter (greater fragmentation of cattle bones) no evidence for marrow extraction.
Ritual and deposition; animal bone was placed around posts in the process of backfilling the ditches and constructing the palisades. Slaughter, sacrifice, feasting and deposition were closely related...In late neolithic long established tradition of feasting, the enclosures were overlooked by the ancestors in WKLB, most bone concealed but some left on top as a visual reminder for later gatherings...pigs may have had symbolic meaning in their own right. Emphasis on right side may be connected with a sense of propitiousness...comparing them to tribes in
Papua New Guinea - a largely vegetarian society, their pigs were bound
up with warfare and peace making, spirits and ritual, reared from a young age by women. When pig numbers reached a peak a kaiko was held. Pigs were slaughtered but not all eaten they were sacrificed, the ceremony was designed to bring peace with neighbouring tribes..

There are others on this forum that believe pigsticking went on in Avebury henge
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 11:34
I remember you well C, and our cautious not-wishing-to-cause-offence initial chat. You have no idea how nice it was to meet someone else who prefers to see sites uncluttered. After all, you wouldn't leave tired and manky flowers on a grave so why turn otherwise awesome sites into something tatty?

Hope you enjoy the film, and thanks for your kind words

Rupert
DaveF
45 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 12:03
I was chatting to someone at Castlerigg at the last winter solstice

There was an offering at the base of one of the stones and I had to laugh when he said

"I have often wondered what the ancient gods are meant to do with a mouldy old apple!"

Last summer we ended up clearing up after a couple of kids who had decided castlerigg was a good place to get smashed on cider.
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Feb 09, 2008, 17:41
This is so cool. I wasn't aware of that quote, so thanks.
I'm still developing what I'm putting in the book (also called SWS, published by Thames & Hudson late this year or early next) but thoughts developed about it which were too late for the film.

It struck me that henges were generally in use for a long time and soil from the ditches always made up the banks. Plenty of people agree that the banks were seating for spectators but have always had this fancy idea about how 'special' multiple ditch henges must have been. I think it's more simple. If a site becomes more popular over time and populations are increasing too, you need bigger banks to create more seating.

I reckoned that if you could prove that at a multiple ditch henge, the bank was made from the soil of both ditches, it would add a lot of weight to the theory.

Guess what the latest soil analysis at Thornborough showed...

Bingo!
Rockabilly
Rockabilly
206 posts

Mar 08, 2008, 02:03
Rupert & Michael loved the film watched it with my 6 year old daughter looks like I now have one member of my family willing to go out to some sites with me.
Some stunning photography there Michael makes me wish I had more time to get out and see these places.
Michael Bott
60 posts

Mar 09, 2008, 12:11
Rockabilly wrote:
Rupert & Michael loved the film watched it with my 6 year old daughter looks like I now have one member of my family willing to go out to some sites with me.
Some stunning photography there Michael makes me wish I had more time to get out and see these places.

Thanks for that - and what a great result with your daughter! I wish my lot had been a bit more inspired at that age ... still, I think they're getting the idea now despite the megalithic overload in the house for the last two years!
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Mar 09, 2008, 14:29
Instead of a series what about a DVD series with maybe one a year coming out, or more if it is possible?
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Mar 09, 2008, 14:36
Aw, just read the "we'll never be able to do this again post" and I understand that. I produced a horror film, "Crazy Josie's Blood Harvest Samhain Picnic Massacre" out of my own pocket. The 150 dollars for production expenses, plus 13.11 for burgers for the crew caused a pickle when it came to paying the cable bill that m-anyways, tangenting, sorry...maybe you could get that commission or, if not from a TV company or 'production company', you might find people who loved the DVD and who might be willing to invest in a sequel. No doubt the 'networking' you will achieve from this DVD will open up many doors and change the landscape (metaphorically) for you. Good Luck!!!

btw, copies of 'Crazy Josies Blood Harvest Samhain Picnic Massacre' are available directly from me for 3 pounds or just send a beta cassette to my addy.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index