Winter Solstice 2007

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Winter Solstice 2007
Dec 17, 2007, 11:38
I have a few days off around the solstice, I was hoping to head somewhere within an hour of Cahir on the 20th. I was thinking maybe Knockroe or Bawnfree hill in Kilkenny. Any other suggestions for sunrise or sunset. Maybe a stone cirlce for sunset?
Was kind of hoping to be up at Dowth for sunset on the 21st so I dont know where to go around Meath for the sunrise of the 21st. Any suggestions?

Thanks
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Winter Solstice 2007
Dec 17, 2007, 17:09
Knockroe is wonderful for the sunset. I caught it a few years ago.

Don't know where I'd go for sunrise down that way. A lot of the axial stone circles will give you a nice alignment to the sunset, though.
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Dec 17, 2007, 20:53
FourWinds wrote:
Knockroe is wonderful for the sunset. I caught it a few years ago.

Don't know where I'd go for sunrise down that way. A lot of the axial stone circles will give you a nice alignment to the sunset, though.

I was up on bawnfree hill today and only just missed the sunset at Knockroe, it looked to me like it would line up nicely. So I think that is one spot for a look.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 18, 2007, 00:22
You could go for Knockroe in the morning too! The cruciform chamber supposedly faces the winter solstice sunrise but is not as accurate as the sunset alignment. Would be great to check. Might do that myself over the hols.
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Dec 18, 2007, 09:00
CianMcLiam wrote:
You could go for Knockroe in the morning too! The cruciform chamber supposedly faces the winter solstice sunrise but is not as accurate as the sunset alignment. Would be great to check. Might do that myself over the hols.

Sounds like a plan so.... now for the 21st itself around Meath / Boyne Valley, any recommmendations for sunrise?
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 19:09
Well it looks like a great morning for Newgrange, going there myself and then on the winter solstice blitz thingy after. Should be a good day out!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 19:16
CianMcLiam wrote:
Well it looks like a great morning for Newgrange, going there myself and then on the winter solstice blitz thingy after. Should be a good day out!

And for those that can't be there you can watch it online this year!

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Solstice2007/
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 20:59
FourWinds wrote:
CianMcLiam wrote:

And for those that can't be there you can watch it online this year!

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Solstice2007/

Was down at Knockroe today, but there was a no show for the sun both morning and evening. I think I will head there again in the morning. Its only 45mins from the house.
Was talking to a guy there this evening and he told me that the locals are all going to Bawnfree hill for sunset as they believe it will be aligned to the setting sun. Be interesting to see if that is so
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 22:17
I was at a talk by Frank Prendergast in the Newgrange visitor centre a fgew weeks back and he did mention about Bawnfree hill but I think he said it aligned to Slievenamon (the cairn on top) and possibly that this was also a sightline to the winter solstice. Will listen back to the talk to check that out.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Dec 21, 2007, 06:33
I think the passage is towards the southwest (from memory and a photo I have labeled 'taken from the northeast'), but I may be wrong.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index