The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ye Plague Market

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Ye Plague Market
Mar 21, 2002, 20:50
A question. At the enf each row, Rhiannon in her report mentions 'blocking stones'. Are these slabs set across the alignments? Please tell me they are and make me very happy.

The Plague Market is one of the sites on my UK list still without a tick by it. If the above is true I may need to get there at the earliest opportunity.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Ye Plague Market
Mar 22, 2002, 17:18
hello 4winds
The more obvious double row has a waist height pointy stone at the east end (not really a slab but still pretty flat) and two smaller stones at the other end. They do 'block' the narrow path between the rows.
I found out they were called 'blocking stones' afterwards from a little book I bought when I was down there - must admit I'm guilty of not thinking about the term before using it, I assumed it's what the Archaeologists have decided on.

Have you seen any of the dartmoor stone rows? Merrivale is the only one I've been to. Most of the stones are shin/knee height but the 'blocking' stones are bigger. You must go, it's ever so easy to park at and find! but it feels more remote from the road than it is.
Also (sorry if I'm repeating myself) it gave me a thrill to sit inside the circular remains of the huts there too.
Do you have any theories about the blocking stones?
I wait with baited breath.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Ye Plague Market
Mar 22, 2002, 17:53
I asked because there is an area in Tipperary that has over 500 stones scattered about it, including a possible 125m diam circle. The area in question is 120 acres. A lot of the stones are grouped in alignments of 3 and point in every which way. There are some that seem like four posters but have never been classified as such. I've only seen about 250 of them in one particularly consentrated area.

One of the most common is two slim stones and a flat slab across the line. This seems to indicate a shadow being cast upon the slab by the two other stones AND more importantly the shadow meaaning something.

No one has ever done a proper study of them (yet - hehe!) and so I can't say what they mean. It's one of my summer projects though. If the PM is a double row of stones then it doesn't really fit my model. Shame.

Still, when I'm back in the UK for a while I'll have to get my ass up there anyway.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index