Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tpiafc
4 posts

Re: This man speaks sense
Dec 31, 2007, 14:00
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Hi tpaifc
Why not start at the top and drop put in a request under the freedom of information act to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport or drop EH's Chief Executive, Dr. Simon Thurley a line.
You can find a list of all of the EH directors on their website.
Take a leaf out of Junes book, positive action instead of sniping.

cheers
fitz

Hi fitz,

I wasn't sniping though I can now see you may have thought so. It was just brief as I have little time .

All I was trying to point out to you was that if the professionals involved in this or any other project either directly or indirectly were unhappy about some aspect the public would never know.
tpiafc
4 posts

Re: Well done EH and all concerned
Dec 31, 2007, 14:29
moss wrote:
[quote though of course if it is impossible not to remove them then they have to stay....

Hi Moss,

I think it was Jim on this thread that summarised the situation pretty well and you have now too – needs must.

Sorry, but I will not be replying to any more posts on here as I cannot get drawn in. But I repeat what I said about the original budget - ask yourself if you would have treated SH as a special case or would you have made the same decisions as EH?
tomwatts
376 posts

Dec 31, 2007, 18:26
Strange how the "strings" inside Silbury didn't decompose over the millenia innit?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 31, 2007, 18:51
Dear tpiafc,

I get the feeling you are asking people to read between the lines of your posts - I am sure Heritage Action will follow through. Whilst respecting the efforts made by that group I cannot say that I am involved with them, but do care very much about Silbury. I recall an autumn walk along the Wansdyke when Silbury seemed to travel with me, I knew then for sure it was magical.

For what it is worth, before reading your post, I did write to EH today asking for an explanation about the synthetic bags and have emailed them as well. My letter was addressed to The Information Office, English Heritage, 29 Queens Square, Bristol BS1 4ND. I will, however, write to my MP (Anne Snelgrove) as you have suggested and possibly also the Secretary of State for Culture and Heritage who I believe is Ruth Kelly to ask questions about the budget for Silbury and how it has been spent.

As I said in my previous post, mine is a small voice, but sometimes the small voice from the back of crowd does get heard - we'll see.

best wishes

tjj
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Asking pertinent questions
Jan 01, 2008, 23:13
With regard to asking pertinent questions about how much the Silbury conservation budget is/was and how it has been spent I have just had a look at the web-site for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. If you click on 'contact us' on the home page there are at least three ways in which an enquiry can be made:

By email to [email protected]; by post (their address is on their web-site; or via an electronic form for groups or organisations to make enquiries. I thought perhaps Heritage Action may like to take this route (forgive the presumption if this has already been done). I am going to email my MP with these questions and will copy the email to DCM&S.

tjj

(Please excuse error in previous post - I am sure HA know Secretary of State for Culture is not Ruth Kelly).

tjj
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Asking pertinent questions
Jan 02, 2008, 09:24
Thank you for all that tjj its all very useful, letter writing does sometime achieve goals and HA has done quite a lot of writing in its time...
moss
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Last glimpse inside ancient enigma
Jan 29, 2008, 17:36
Tonight on Newsnight at 11:30 on BBC 2 and on the Newsnight website.

See also http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/7215842.stm
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Last glimpse inside ancient enigma
Jan 29, 2008, 18:01
Littlestone wrote:

What a wankily written article!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 29, 2008, 18:12
What a wankily written article!

Yup, that's what I thought FW - m'be the Newsnight footage will make up for it but I'm not holding my breath.
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Jan 30, 2008, 06:15
Missed the Newsnight footage, but the article clearly shows the correspondent has been put on a bonus for each metaphor and hyperbole. Ruined what could have been a reasonable summation for those bods who didn't know about Silbury.

The good old days of BBC English seem to have been passed by for ever.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index