Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Re: Long Man of Wilmington - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Jul 01, 2007, 22:27
slumpystones wrote:
London Weekend TV are the production company.

020 7620 1620.

Thanks!

Duly spread.
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Jul 01, 2007, 22:59
Trinny and Susannah's e-mail:

[email protected]
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 07:35
My email last night, suitably indignant..... I cannot believe that an Archaeological Society could sink to such a low point as to 'hire out' or give permission for the Long Man of Wilmington site to be used for cheapskate shows. Can anyone take your society as a serious one or is the 'fun' element of a sellout more profitable?
I believe that such a decision could still be reversed, and trust that you will reconsider such a foolish act....

Its a worrying trend when you consider the trash that tv produces nowadays just to get the punters in, what other parts of heritage is up for trashing? Don't answer that LS and Nigel... or anyone else by the way, just write an email...
Robert Carr
84 posts

Any word?
Jul 02, 2007, 17:11
Any word on this? I hope you had success today.

I must confess, no doubt due to my advanced age and equally ancient TV receiver, that I really don't know who the fuck Trinny and Susannah are!
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Any word?
Jul 02, 2007, 17:43
Robert Carr wrote:
Any word on this? I hope you had success today.

I must confess, no doubt due to my advanced age and equally ancient TV receiver, that I really don't know who the fuck Trinny and Susannah are!

Two Z-list celebs who tell 'ordinary' people how to dress. A product of ITV's dumb-down no-think TV policy.
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 20:05
Quick headlines for you, before my proper write-up:

There was no archaeological supervision (The site manager is not an archaeologist). The programme makers stuck sticks onto the ground on the figure so that the participants would know where to lie.

These were only removed when a local Pagan (me) told the CEO of Sussex Archaeological Society, who told the site manager to tell the programme makers to remove them. One of the researchers admitted this was a mistake. But nothing would have been done if I had not spotted the sticks in a photographic close-up. By definition, the sticks caused damage to archaeology, as they disturbed soil that was previously undisturbed.

Sussex Archaeological Society, the owners of the site, have failed in their cutodianship utterly, for the fiirst time, having previously been utterly worthy of out trust. As of this moment, effectively, local Pagans are the custodians of the Long Man, as it is they who have the best interests of the site at heart.

This cannot continue to be the case, obviously.

On the upside I was very proud to identify myself as a Site Inspector for Heritage Action.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 20:09
Cursuswalker wrote:
Quick headlines for you, before my proper write-up:

There was no archaeological supervision (The site manager is not an archaeologist). The programme makers stuck sticks onto the ground on the figure so that the participants would know where to lie.

These were only removed when a local Pagan (me) told the CEO of Sussex Archaeological Society, who told the site manager to tell the programme makers to remove them. One of the researchers admitted this was a mistake. But nothing would have been done if I had not spotted the sticks in a photographic close-up. By definition, the sticks caused damage to archaeology, as they disturbed soil that was previously undisturbed.

Sussex Archaeological Society, the owners of the site, have failed in their cutodianship utterly, for the fiirst time, having previously been utterly worthy of out trust. As of this moment, effectively, local Pagans are the custodians of the Long Man, as it is they who have the best interests of the site at heart.

This cannot continue to be the case, obviously.

On the upside I was very proud to identify myself as a Site Inspector for Heritage Action.

Well done, sir!! My hat off to you!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 20:16
I just can't believe that this has been allowed to happen! I'm horrified and I really don't know what else to say. Just to clarify, has the site been permanently damaged? I've visited this site on several occasions and I wasn't aware you were allowed to walk over the figure at all; I thought it was fenced off so HOW is it suddenly ok for a load of daft bints to lie all over it and poke sticks in it? Bloody disgusting.
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 21:25
Sorry I don't know how to link this, it is on the BBC news site, you can find the link on cba britarch rolling news

http://news.bbc.co.uk

VBB
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 21:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6263032.stm
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index