The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ancient sites: Protect or Use?

Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tomwatts
376 posts

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
Jun 27, 2007, 14:57
It strikes me that the vast majority visiting ancient monuments don't know how to connect to the past, (myself included). As there is no record of the right way to honour the stones, maybe we should invent one.

IE:

The only way to show respect to our forebears who built the stones is to sprinkle the stones and ground with water from the nearest stream.

Or summat like that.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 14:57
Aww c'mon. Cut this crap attitude out. This fella has, from the start, been civil, courteous, stated his position, asked others of theirs, questioned it lucidly, openly, asked what folk meant in terms of their own parameters, found things wanting, etc.

Courteous? I think not.

And is this courteous? From your own TMA profile when you know full well that there are contributors to this Forum who are pagan-druids?

"After searching thru' many weird & wondrous mythologies exploring these old stones & their animistic compatriots, it's blatantly obvious many of these places were spots used by that common character found the world over: the shaman. (And please don't get any ideas about the modern New-Age shamans [or pagan-druids for that matter] being owt like the real thing, cos they're not: they're shams not shamans!)"
Mustard
1043 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:00
Littlestone wrote:
Aww c'mon. Cut this crap attitude out. This fella has, from the start, been civil, courteous, stated his position, asked others of theirs, questioned it lucidly, openly, asked what folk meant in terms of their own parameters, found things wanting, etc.

Courteous? I think not.

Would you care to point to an example of me being any less courteous than any other poster please?
Robert Carr
84 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:02
Littlestone wrote:
Now, to reassure us that you're not a troll, why don't you tell us which areas of the megalithic subject you're interested in, or have some degree of knowledge about; it's quite a simple question really and will clarify whether you're in the right place or would be happier in one of the internet semantic forums ;-)

How patronising can you get!

I'm sorry Littlestone but stuff like this makes you look stupid (IMO).
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:05
Littlestone wrote:

Courteous? I think not.

And is this courteous? From your own TMA profile when you know full well that there are contributors to this Forum who are pagan-druids?

"After searching thru' many weird & wondrous mythologies exploring these old stones & their animistic compatriots, it's blatantly obvious many of these places were spots used by that common character found the world over: the shaman. (And please don't get any ideas about the modern New-Age shamans [or pagan-druids for that matter] being owt like the real thing, cos they're not: they're shams not shamans!)"

Stick to the point of the thread. You're gerrin personal, so I'm mirroring. You're simply a troll LittleStone! Stay where you belong you troll.

...And yes, show where Mustard's been discourteous. C'mon troll, I'm sure you'd like to...
Mustard
1043 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:05
tomwatts wrote:
It strikes me that the vast majority visiting ancient monuments don't know how to connect to the past, (myself included). As there is no record of the right way to honour the stones, maybe we should invent one.

Couldn't agree more. Personally, I tend to fall back on a sense of wonder and the profound sense of continuity and connection with the past. I can understand why people are inspired to mystify such sites and imbue them with spiritual significance, but I'm too much of a sceptic to wander off down that road.
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:07
tiompa wrote:
Have you guessed the next RAM area yet ?

Hmmm...Ilkley Moor and district? That'll do nicely! Izzit gonna be one day or 2? We've got tons of the damn things, as well you know. Any dates yet? Or should I talk to Richard?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:09
I'd say your reluctance to answer my question regarding which areas of the megalithic subject you're interested in, or have some degree of knowledge about, speaks for itself.

Time will tell however, and if you do have something to contribute to TMA, rather than just getting up people's noses, that should become apparent before long.

Meanwhile, I have more important things to do than engage with you here (my goldfish has a headache and needs an aspirin).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:12
Paulus wrote:
tiompa wrote:
Have you guessed the next RAM area yet ?

Hmmm...Ilkley Moor and district? That'll do nicely! Izzit gonna be one day or 2? We've got tons of the damn things, as well you know. Any dates yet? Or should I talk to Richard?

Very loose at the moment but Rich will be sweating on it .
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Jun 27, 2007, 15:14
Littlestone wrote:
I'd say your reluctance to answer my question regarding which areas of the megalithic subject you're interested in, or have some degree of knowledge about, speaks for itself.

Time will tell however, and if you do have something to contribute to TMA, rather than just getting up people's noses, that should become apparent before long.

You're off again aren't you!? In all the years you've been on TMA, look at yourcontribution of sites to this website! A few ludicrously debatable rocks under churches and personal insults to those who disagree with you. Awesome mate!

Littlestone wrote:
Meanwhile, I have more important things to do than engage with you here (my goldfish has a headache and needs an aspirin).

My sympathies are with the goldfish. The poor thing... No wonder it's gotta headache!
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index