The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Gear »
Gear farm

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
chris s
211 posts

Gear farm
Mar 11, 2002, 20:05
Loved watching the excavations at the Gear Farm complex, the best TT of the series.......not least cos it's me home district. looking on my trusty OS sheet for Redruth and St.Agnes, the sheet north of The Lizard,i remembered another Gear Farm round enclosure nearer my hometown of Camborne.....and indeed, there it was:Gear Farm round,near Carnhell Green(SW617365,marked as settlement).But hang on -whats this? Tregear Farm near Crowan(SW640343,marked as settlement).......and hows about this? Near Killivose,yet another Gear Farm(SW642389)this time unmarked yet showing signs of occupying a site-a squeezed,but distinctly ovoid enclosure boundary........Now i take it "gear" is a corruption of the Brythonic "Caer",mutated through proniunciation.......
.......just how many "gear" settlement sites are there in Cornwall??? Phil?? Anyone?? Am i barking up a worthwhile tree, or indeed any tree at all ??
phil
126 posts

Barking
Mar 12, 2002, 08:11
Hi Chris,

Ahh a fellow enclosure fan!. (Are we both mad!)

I'm no expert on the Cornish Language but a quick search on the web finds that "Car" or "Caer" in Cornish is a place name from the Celtic "ker" meaning fort.

The beauty is that Cornwall is full of em! - singles, doubles, also we have cliff castles, hillforts not to mention Plain en gwarries!

I have found the following "Caer" sites on the map but haven't had chance to visit them yet.

Caer Dane
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=737

Caer Keif
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=738

Caer Vallack
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=782

Anyone who plans a visit to Cornwall's cool landscapes be sure to try and get your hands on the following books. Most librarys in Cornwall would have a copy and I have seen them in certain bookshops.

"Cornovia - Ancient Sites of Cornwall and Scilly" by Craig Weatherhill £9.50 (Out of Print). ISBN: 1871060311 and "Belerion - Ancient Sites of Land's End" by Craig Weatherhill (Alison Hodge, Paperback, £3.50 (Out of Print). ISBN: 090672001X

Both books give a comprehensive guide to the ancient sites of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, both are illustrated with line drawings and with full access details

Phil
Near Castle an Dinas, (The Goss moor one), Cornwall.
caergog
393 posts

Re: Barking
Mar 12, 2002, 19:44
I'm just taking a welsh angle on this as cornish is related to welsh. In welsh caer means fort or castle, there are very few k words in welsh as c serves this purpose infact j,k,x and z are not normally included in the welsh alphabet except in more modern words such as kilometr. I am describing modern welsh here, so am unsure if the same rules apply for other celtic languages.
love
carolinexx
chris s
211 posts

Re: Barking
Mar 15, 2002, 13:50
Thanks for the reply and the info, Phil.........yep, i'm another enclosure fan !! im on alil' bit of amission to post stuff about the sites and stones in Kerrier, the area of cornwall i grew up in, cos i think they're(perhaps understandably ) neglected in the rush to see the sites in Penwith next door.........
...not sure if Cornovia or Belerion are out of print, most bookshops in St.Ives and Penzance had them in stock over new year........
see my post about The Hood for another neglected Kerrier round !! Just south-west of Camborne, near Penponds.........
thanks, chris
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index