The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
North Cornwall

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sannan
7 posts

North Cornwall
May 14, 2007, 11:07
Anyone have any itinerary suggestions for a week based in Poth (Trevelgue head near Newquay)? I'll have to be able to get to them by bus and walking.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: North Cornwall
May 14, 2007, 15:43
Without a timetable by my side I am not sure where you can get to....
Timetables change at the end of this month, there should be a service up and down the coast...might be able to get to Castle an Dinas.
Bodmin Moor might be a bit tricky...enquire about Corlink at Newquay TIC..
Trains from Newquay also change on the 19th May...if you can get a good connection to the mainline you could get to St Ives or Penzance and get on the bus out around the Lands End area.
You shouldn't have a problem seeing something...but be prepared to be a little frustrated at times..

Mr H
sannan
7 posts

May 15, 2007, 15:14
Cheers Mr. H.
I will get a copy of the new time tables forthwith.
Regards
Sannan
phil
126 posts

May 15, 2007, 16:58
The coastal footpath between Porth and Padstow has several monuments (along with some great views). Mostly burial mounds and a couple of cliff forts.

Porth Island (iron age settlement) is well worth a visit. The road to Castle and Dinas is closed at the moment due to the new A30 dual carriage way being finished off, so no buses passing that way.

Phil
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 15, 2007, 18:30
Ooh, I dunno much about the public transport around Cornwall (cos I normally drive everywhere!) but Holywell Bay's just along from Newquay, and I know there's a bus goes down there fairly regularly. There's agreat walk across the cliffs to Perranporth, and over the dunes, via St Piran's Oratory (rems of) and what is supposedly the remains of first ever church in England (Apologies to the locals - not my words, I promise!) - and a lovely old Celtic cross to boot! A circular walk will bring you back along the road, through Cubert, to Holywell Bay (or wherever you fancy getting the bus back from!)

AND... If you get the tides right, you may be able to see the glorious holy well in the cave at Holywell Bay! :o)

G x
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 15, 2007, 18:39
goffik wrote:
AND... If you get the tides right, you may be able to see the glorious holy well in the cave at Holywell Bay! :o)

And if that \IS your poison, wellyou've got St Cuthbert's Well in Cubert, St Caratocus' Well in Crantock, and St Ambrusca's Well just down the road! ;o)

Now see? I've got meself started - nurse!

G x
sannan
7 posts

May 16, 2007, 11:16
Wells, forts, burial mounds, costal paths....I'm in heaven. Well almost...what about PUBS!
Regards
Sannan
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

May 16, 2007, 17:31
AVOID most of the ones in Newquay...unless you like stag nights!
again, like Goffik, I tend to have my own transport so...
Smugglers Den near Cubert is great but gets very busy...really good food.
The bar/restaurant at Lusty Glaze beach is meant to be very good..right down on the beach fresh local Cornish produce...might be full of healthy fit people though...which is why I have yet to go there!

Mr H
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

May 16, 2007, 17:53
Ere Goffik....while you is thinking about doing this website about wells and things..check out
http://www.oliverscornwall.co.uk/

lots on there....

Mr H
phil
126 posts

Re: North Cornwall/ (pubs)
May 17, 2007, 10:40
Personnally I recommend,

Falcon Inn St. Mawgan village,
The Mermaid at Porth,
Merrymoor at Mawgan Porth.
Smugglers at Cubert also a good bet
-These are the quieter traditional pubs.

If you fancy something a bit livelier try Skinners Arms Newquay or the Vic bars in Newquay for live music and alternative crowds!?

Phil
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index