Ablington Camp »
Any Ablingtonians out there?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Any Ablingtonians out there?
May 06, 2007, 14:09
I have a couple of images I'd like to post up from an old document concerning 'Ablington Long Barrow' - the document is old, so it may be just a barrow (round) rather than a long one (oo'er missus). I see at megalithic.co.uk its listed as a chambered tomb (with an alternate name of Bibury V?!?), on TMA all I find is the hillfort. Not being local, I don't know 'bout such things....

WF
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Re: Any Ablingtonians out there?
May 06, 2007, 14:51
Ey up Wysie!

Seems there's been a debate amongst archaeo's about the precise status of this site. In Corcoran's study (1969) of Cotswold's chambered tombs he assigns it to being a chambered cairn; but Frances Lynch (1969) told that no consensus agreement has been made, as no burial was found here, saying W.G. Grimes "has recently claimed that one at Ablington (GLO 26) is defintiely neolithic, although there were no finds in support." If I were you I'd stick it on as a chambered cairn. If we find it to be specifically defined as something else, just change its status if/when the info arises.

All the best - Paulus
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

May 06, 2007, 17:40
Thanks Paulus. I've posted up the two images now.

WF
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

May 07, 2007, 13:20
wysefool wrote:
Thanks Paulus. I've posted up the two images now.

WF

Lovely! Where are you gerrin' all these images from? There's some nice stuff you're posting.
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

May 07, 2007, 16:17
From an old society of antiquaries report from 1896 called 'Ancient British Barrows'. I do a lot of 'digging' around 2nd hand book shops and sometimes it pays off.

PS I do have some text to post up too, but it's a report covering loadsa sites and comparing them (i.e. number of skeletons in each), so tis a lot of fun unpicking it. The language can be a little confusing as well (they call round barrows 'long barrows' when there not and it's all a bit 'cromlech' for my liking. Soooooo 19th Century LOL :-)

Are there any sites your particularly interested in? (it seems to focus only on Wiltshire)

WF
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

May 07, 2007, 21:41
Ey up!

wysefool wrote:

From an old society of antiquaries report from 1896 called 'Ancient British Barrows'. I do a lot of 'digging' around 2nd hand book shops and sometimes it pays off.

PS I do have some text to post up too, but it's a report covering loadsa sites and comparing them (i.e. number of skeletons in each), so tis a lot of fun unpicking it. The language can be a little confusing as well (they call round barrows 'long barrows' when there not and it's all a bit 'cromlech' for my liking. Soooooo 19th Century LOL :-)

Are there any sites your particularly interested in? (it seems to focus only on Wiltshire)

WF

Some good material hidden in them there old bookshops. Half of 'em have closed down up north since this 'ere internet went big. Is the Ancient British Barrows work by Thurnam? I've gotta find a copy.

< Are there any sites your particularly interested in? >

Not really - I just like a lot of the old drawings. The conjectured West Kennett longbarrow picture isn't one I've seen before. Good stuff!

Cheers - Paul
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index