Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 142 43 44 45 46 47 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2013, 16:05
Ice Age art: Jill Cook
Apr 18, 2013, 11:22
Ice Age art: arrival of the modern mind, a catalogue compiled by Jill Cook, Senior Curator in the Department of Prehistory and Europe at the British Museum, to accompany the Ice Age art exhibition there.

“This ground-breaking book explores the extraordinary sculpture and drawings created during the last European Ice Age, between 40,000 and 10,000 years ago – the oldest known figurative art in the world.”

More here.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

The Architecture of Death
May 19, 2013, 21:52
George Nash (Logaston Press 2006).

Detailed look at pretty much all the extant chambered tombs of Wales.

100 separate monuments are covered, with B&W pictures and/or plans of most. 256 pp, soft cover.
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2013, 14:37
Sandstone and Sea Stacks
Jun 10, 2013, 14:23
Though not really that much connected to megaliths I have really enjoyed these two books by Ronald Turnbull. I like looking at the different rocks/stones that are used in various stone circles, chambered cairns, etc but my knowledge is pretty poor as to what each type actual is. I find some geology books a bit hard work but these two are quite easy going with some lovely photos. One covers coastal geology (mainly south of the border) and the another the mountains.

Sandstone and Sea Stacks: A Beachcomber's Guide to Britain's Coastal Geology
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandstone-Sea-Stacks-Beachcombers-Britains/dp/0711232288/ref=la_B002IYV75S_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370871021&sr=1-17

Granite and Grit: A Walker's Guide to the Geology of British Mountains
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Granite-Grit-Walkers-Geology-Mountains/dp/071123180X/ref=la_B002IYV75S_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370870508&sr=1-4
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Sandstone and Sea Stacks
Jun 10, 2013, 18:52
Ooh, they look good.

Bought this recently (but needless to say haven't opened it yet, need some long winter evenings):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hidden-Landscape-Journey-Geological/dp/1847920713/ref=pd_sim_b_2
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2013, 21:40
Re: Sandstone and Sea Stacks
Jun 10, 2013, 20:54
The Sandstone and Sea stacks book has a small bit about Gower and Worm's Head.

Mrs T has read Richard Fortey's 'Trilobite! Eyewitness to Evolution'. She said it was quite good. Be interesting to hear how you get on with 'The Hidden Landscape'.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Architecture, Regional Identity and Power...
Jul 01, 2013, 16:16
Architecture, Regional Identity and Power in the Iron Age Landscapes of Mid Wales: The Hillforts of North Ceredigion by Toby Driver.

"This is a study of the Iron Age hillforts of north Ceredigion (Cardiganshire), mid Wales. Over one hundred diverse and unusual hillforts and defended enclosures are known in this topographically distinctive landscape, framed between the west coast of Cardigan Bay and the eastern high ground of the Cambrian Mountains. This new research sheds light on their architecture, chronology and the dynamic use of the regional terrain in later prehistory, reaching conclusions that have resonance for the wider study of British hillforts."
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit: Cornwall’s Megalithic Masterpiece
Aug 02, 2013, 15:56
Bump

Littlestone wrote:
Trethevy Quoit: Cornwall’s Megalithic Masterpiece by Roy Goutte.

“This excellent and thoughtful book gives a somewhat different explanation of the construction and subsequent history of the prehistoric Trethevy Quoit burial chamber in Cornwall. The author, Roy Goutte, has spent many hours studying the chamber first hand and has come to his own fascinating conclusion as to how the cromlech arrived in its present form. The reader is introduced, step-by-step, to the author’s observations and theories through historical references, photographs, diagrams and several model reconstructions of this Cornish ‘Jewel in the Crown’ structure from the Neolithic (and how it may have originally looked). His findings are thorough and convincing with certain aspects truly ground-breaking; it would take an even more thorough investigation to successfully argue against the possibilities he advances.”

More here.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 02, 2013, 16:15
Why have you done that exactly? I tell you what it looks like - it looks like some sort of passive aggressive comment on the other thread. Tiresome.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Aug 02, 2013, 16:38
Rhiannon wrote:
Why have you done that exactly? I tell you what it looks like - it looks like some sort of passive aggressive comment on the other thread. Tiresome.

Or, it could be to counter the very unfair, untrue and, in my opinion, totally uncalled for comment here which states that -

“I told it to him [Roy] like it is about his self published, un-reviewed book, forced because of his utter arrogance and disrespect of professional archaeology and insult to the intelligence of most here, claiming he's the only person in the country able to investigate the quoit "correctly".”

I’m sorry if you find that tiresome Rhiannon...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 02, 2013, 17:50
EDG ,had made a good point , which I mentioned in a reply to Moss .

“Others only think differently George because they have not researched the quoit correctly. “
Although this was never answered directly an indirect explanation from Roy today was “You do it by firstly not believing what you are always told by your peers if something doesn't appear to be right. One 'expert' after another copies each others work because they are lazy and don't even attempt to see it differently yet become icons in the archaeological world and much respected. Open your eyes, look for alternatives and don't be afraid to break the mould. We amateurs only have our eyes, brains and downright common sense compared to what the professional has at their disposal. “ This suggests that anyone who has a different view from Roy's or an “expert “ (always used pejoratively and in quotes ) have not used their eyes ,brains ,common sense ,are lazy etc . That attitude is what annoyed EDG .
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 142 43 44 45 46 47 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index