Jan 04, 2012, 23:48
Of some of my photos taken in 2011

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2878458
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: præ A self published book
Jan 05, 2012, 00:06
Nice one, mate! Saw this on Twitter earlier (I think Squid Tweeted it) - good for you! Great pics. Always nice to see a book by a mate on the (virtual) shelves. :)

G x
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Re: præ A self published book
Jan 05, 2012, 08:44
goffik wrote:
Nice one, mate! Saw this on Twitter earlier (I think Squid Tweeted it) - good for you! Great pics. Always nice to see a book by a mate on the (virtual) shelves. :)

G x

Thanks Goff, and Happy New year!
This one is an ebook but also a print version too!
CARL
511 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Jan 26, 2012, 09:14
Another one (I think) to add to the list -

The History of Ancient Britain by Neil Oliver (BBC books).

I was so impressed when watching this series last year I bought the DVDs and the book! I have re-watched the series and am now finishing the book. Like the series the book is very interesting and well worth a read.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mike Parker - "Map Addict"
Jan 26, 2012, 21:19
Not strictly TMA-ish, but a friend at work lent me this recently and I loved it. For TMAers who like a nice map (Jane, TheEternal, Scubi) this is a book I would recommend enormously. It's basically about obsession, but also throws in some fascinating map-related stuff. And has made me re-evaluate my opinion of the Landranger series (as I'm an Explorer kid, me).

As an aside, it namechecks The Modern Antiquarian and Julian, and has a very funny chapter that revolves partly around the alignment of Midsummer Boulevard in Milton Keynes with the midsummer sunrise ( I think something similar was mentioned on here recently in connection with Marlborough?). I also never knew that Milton Keynes has an open-air tree cathedral, built to the same scale and plan as the floor plan of Norwich cathedral. How good is that? In Milton Keynes!

"if you can sit and read a good map like others read Heat or Hello!, then this book is for you"
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Mike Parker - "Map Addict"
Jan 26, 2012, 22:16
THis sounds great - I'm a big ol' map fan, as well...

thesweetcheat wrote:
I also never knew that Milton Keynes has an open-air tree cathedral, built to the same scale and plan as the floor plan of Norwich cathedral. How good is that? In Milton Keynes!

I had no idea this existed either! I dunno what it is about this kind of thing, but not a million miles away is this one that I used to frequent as a child: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/whipsnade-tree-cathedral/

Just thought I'd throw that in, cos I thought initially he'd confused the location... Nope. There's 2 of 'em! In close proximity, I mean. It seems there are others, worldwide...

G x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 26, 2012, 22:26
goffik wrote:
THis sounds great - I'm a big ol' map fan, as well...

You'll love it, hopefully. It's funny and infiormative, which is good going. Apparently the author does map-related radio shows as well.

One other thing he mentions is the AA "Book of the Road". Turns out I have three of them (from the 50s and 60s) amongst stuff my Dad accumulated, but I've never looked at them. And they're great - worth their own mention on here in fact.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2012, 21:30
Jan 26, 2012, 22:26
I also never knew that Milton Keynes has an open-air tree cathedral, built to the same scale and plan as the floor plan of Norwich cathedral. How good is that? In Milton Keynes!

It also has a stone circle :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 26, 2012, 22:28
Link doesn't seem to work LS, but it seems Milton Keynes is a hot-bed of pagan weirdness!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 26, 2012, 22:33
Aye, used a link to another site which should work. Google Milton Keynes+stone circle and quite a bit comes up.
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index