The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wideford
1086 posts

"Haunted Spaces, Sacred Places" by Brian Haughton
Oct 04, 2009, 19:02
don't be put off by the title, this one oriented to us not Forteans. Britain, Europe and further afield - chapter contents more landscape inclusive than headings indicate
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunted-Spaces-Sacred-Places-Supernatural/dp/160163000X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254675677&sr=1-2
wideford
1086 posts

Re: "Haunted Spaces, Sacred Places" by Brian Haughton
Oct 06, 2009, 18:52
regarding Maes Howe no newspaper report, let alone that of 20/7/09, mentions mummies or bones
wideford
1086 posts

Re: "Haunted Spaces, Sacred Places" by Brian Haughton
Oct 06, 2009, 18:54
oops 1861
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Standing With Stones - R Soskin & T Darvill
Oct 07, 2009, 11:10
Aw, come on - you just gotta, haven't you?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Stones-Photographic-Journey-Megalithic/dp/0500051585/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254906058&sr=8-2

:)

G x

PS - Apologies if this has been mentioned previously. If it has, didn't find it here!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Standing With Stones - R Soskin & T Darvill
Oct 07, 2009, 11:36
goffik wrote:
Aw, come on - you just gotta, haven't you?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Stones-Photographic-Journey-Megalithic/dp/0500051585/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254906058&sr=8-2

:)

G x

PS - Apologies if this has been mentioned previously. If it has, didn't find it here!

Ay, thanks Goff. Don't think it has been mentioned here. Wouldn't mind a signed copy, Rupert, if you're reading this :-)
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Oct 07, 2009, 14:17
You guys are very kind and one day I'll buy you a beer!

As for signed copies - bit of a sore point really. You may know that authors get a ridiculous handful of books on publication, if you want any more you have to buy them (and no cheaper than they are on Amazon!). Weeeeell, the person responsible for posting my copies just put half of them in a jiffy bag. They arrived in fairly shitty condition and not good enough to sign and post to anyone!

and no, they wouldn't replace them either!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Oct 07, 2009, 14:30
Rupert Soskin wrote:
You guys are very kind and one day I'll buy you a beer!

As for signed copies - bit of a sore point really. You may know that authors get a ridiculous handful of books on publication, if you want any more you have to buy them (and no cheaper than they are on Amazon!). Weeeeell, the person responsible for posting my copies just put half of them in a jiffy bag. They arrived in fairly shitty condition and not good enough to sign and post to anyone!

and no, they wouldn't replace them either!

Thanks anyway. Looks like I'm going to have to order one and then get you to sign it over that beer :-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Prehistoric Geometry in Britain: Tom Brooks
Oct 07, 2009, 23:38
Littlestone wrote:
Not actually a book but a DVD (and CD) in which Tom Brooks suggests, in his Prehistoric Geometry in Britain, that, "...prehistoric man navigated his way across England using a crude version of 'sat nav' based on stone circle markers; they (prehistoric man) were able to travel between settlements with pinpoint accuracy thanks to a complex network of hilltop monuments. New research suggests that they were built on a connecting grid of isosceles triangles that 'point' to the next site. Many are 100 miles or more away, but GPS co-ordinates show all are accurate to within 100 metres. This provided a simple way for ancient Britons to navigate successfully from A to B without the need for maps."*

Brooks' research, "...based upon the true position of each unit relative to all others according to the Ordnance Survey National Grid, reveals that all are related geometrically by isosceles triangles (having two sides equal) and projected alignments of remarkable accuracy over great distances. Further, such isosceles triangulation was directed from and focused upon a single, central feature more than 5,000 years old - Silbury Hill on the Marlborough Downs in Wiltshire."**

* http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1213400/Ancient-man-used-stone-sat-nav-navigate-country.html#ixzz0R6gQT2Tr

** http://www.prehistoric-geometry.co.uk/index.html

Poor bloke if he had waited he might have got in the fact that "Bluestonehnege" is equi distant to Stonehenge and Woodhenge and a couple of major barows on Normanton Down .
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 10:57
Littlestone wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have to order one and then get you to sign it over that beer :-)

I'd enjoy that :-)
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Edited Nov 09, 2009, 21:00
War & the Noble Savage - by 'Gyrus'
Nov 09, 2009, 20:58
A good writer, good mate, aswell as one of Julian's old mates, has just written a fine-lookking work exploring the curious notions, embedded to some degrees in archaeology & anthropology, on the ancient and traditional societies where the myth of the 'noble savage' has prevailed, been denounced, and brought back into focus.

War and the Noble Savage is here.

Give it your support!
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index