Long barrow in the Lambourn Seven Barrows Group

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Long barrow in the Lambourn Seven Barrows Group
Mar 26, 2007, 15:13
I've just visited the remains of the Long Barrow in the LB7 group and taken some photos. I have visited the site many times before, but this time, some destruction has happened (arghhhhh). I would like to know if the damage caused to this long barrow can be reported to anyone (i.e. EH?).

I would like to post up my notes and images, but the site is listed as being part of the LB7 group and, if i post up the images, they'll be mixed up with the main site.

Is it possible to separate it from the main site group. I say this, because it's from a different age (neolithic not bronze) and would not have originally been part of the bronze age barrow cemetary, and the images I would like to post would look 'funny' mixed in with the round barrows.

Is this one for the TMA eds?
TMA Ed
615 posts

Re: Long barrow in the Lambourn Seven Barrows Group
Mar 26, 2007, 15:42
Wysefool, I'll add in a long barrow subsite to the LSB site.
Thanks,
TMA Ed.
TMA Ed
615 posts

Mar 26, 2007, 15:50
I've also moved Rhiannon's post about the long barrow over. If any of the photos already posted should be moved, let us know.

TMA Ed.
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Mar 26, 2007, 21:17
Thanks for doing that. I've just posted the images up. I would like to know peeps opinion on if the site has been damaged and if there is anything anyone can do about it.
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Long barrow in the Lambourn Seven Barrows Grou
Mar 26, 2007, 21:22
As I remember it was a track across a hump in the track the last time I was there, with a lot less visible than now, but that was 15 years ago or more. It appeared totally destroyed to me.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Mar 26, 2007, 23:26
Same here - tho it was late summer so there was foliage everywhere so couldn't really see owt because of that....

Tbh, it's so ruined I'd be surprised if it's protected - is it on the schedule?

love

Moth
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 26, 2007, 23:35
it is scheduled - and allegedly the oldest dated long barrow ? according to Magic.
so why is it being maltreated in this way. What IS the world coming to?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2007, 01:31
Mar 27, 2007, 01:28
Rhiannon wrote:
it is scheduled

Fair enough!

Rhiannon wrote:
and allegedly the oldest dated long barrow ? according to Magic.

Ah - that's probably why it's scheduled despite being so ruined.

Rhiannon wrote:
so why is it being maltreated in this way. What IS the world coming to?

Is your tongue in your cheek, R? Par for t'course isn't it?

Actually, I think most of the damage is pretty damned old - it's been ploughed down & the track put over it a long, long time ago. And then the plantation. No excuse for damage since it's been scheduled tho!!! Trouble is nobody gives a stuff - least of all EH & local council archaeos (or has money/time to do owt about it, depending who you believe) - as has been well discussed here.

Not a dig at you, R, but tbh even most TMAers just throw up their hands & then do piss-all - as evidenced by the lack of real help for the few that keep Heritage Action going. (Just for info, I've more-or-less given up working on HA myself simply because of the huge lack of interest from just about anybody in the world.)

:^(

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 27, 2007, 08:23
The trouble with you Moth is you're not stupid enough!

Me, I keep going, on the assumption that the occasional stuff may be given, the occasional voracious quarry company might spare something in its way and the occasional official spokesman might actually be sincere about how preservation matters!

Completely loopy, I know, but when I stand at the pearly megaliths I can at least tell St Ba'al I had a go....
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 27, 2007, 09:05
nigelswift wrote:
but when I stand at the pearly megaliths I can at least tell St Ba'al I had a go....

Genius! ...still trying to curry favour with the Great Invisible Sky God, eh?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index