Avebury »
Megameet

Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Megameet
Mar 16, 2007, 04:35
Another request for an "official" confirmation. May 12? All are agreed on that date? No chance of it's being changed?
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Mar 16, 2007, 08:44
Are you coming over Bucky? It would be good to meet you and Loie again.
Like Jacksprat I've been a bit quiet recently as my landlady has gone into care so a new flat had to be found and moved into. Things are more settled now so I should be out and about!
Looking forward as always to meeting old faces and new.
Jim.
nigelswift
8112 posts

World Megameet
Mar 16, 2007, 09:06
Hi Bucky, if the kittens can't be re-herded (and they probably can't as the invitation has gone out to other forums) perhaps we could have another meet if/when you can make it.

I've given it a name to lend it a bit of cred.
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: World Megameet
Mar 16, 2007, 13:46
No no! My apologies for not being clear and unambiguous. No change, no more herding!

British Air has posted some cheap rates for flights to London in April and May, and Loie wanted to confirm the date, not ask for it to be moved. There's only the slimmest of slim chances we would be able to attend, but we're, let's say, dreaming of it. Wondering if we could swing it. Amazed we even have the temerity to consider it. Wanting so much for it to be possible. Etc. Etc.

I looked but didn't see a posting on the Stone Pages, so popped in here to *confirm* beyond doubt that May 12th is the date.

It would be a dream come true to be able to attend. Right now it's just a fantasy, definitely silly, but Loie will look over the finances and we'll see. In the meantime, what would any of you recommend for accomodations? Camping is not an option. Bed and breakfast places, midprice inns, etc. Shabby chic.

Our house outside Wilton was lovely but probably more than we two would need. The farmer market in Wilton was good, though. Some excellent cheeses and local hard cider. Sounds like picnic lunch to me!

So, May 12th is the date, right?
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 16, 2007, 15:16
Yes indeed! 12pm on Saturday 12th May at the cove in Avebury...

I'm sure there'll be people around there all day, weather permitting, although some of us may wish to disappear on the odd wander from time to time to explore...

Be good to see you if you can make it!

G x
slumpystones
769 posts

Mar 16, 2007, 18:08
Is the height restriction going to be in force in the carpark?

If so look out for a dirty transit van and La Cuccuraca ;)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Mar 17, 2007, 00:39
Not that I'm around that much at the mo meself, but good to see you & Jack back, Jim....

Hope to ACTUALLY see both of ye (& many more!) on the 12th!

love

Moth
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Megameet accommodation
Mar 17, 2007, 14:01
Short list of places to stay in and around Avebury. Book now though because rooms in and around Avebury can get as rare as hen's teeth.

Devizes, Marlborough and Swindon have lots of places to stay; check the net. The Swindon Marriott is a great hotel if you're looking for a really relaxing couple of days (about 20 minutes drive to Avebury).

In Avebury and Avebury Trusloe -

Longstones B&B. Avebury Trusloe (15 minute walk to Avebury). Info here - http://www.longstones.co.uk/index-main.html

Mrs Dixon's B&B at the top of the hill just outside Avebury Trusloe. Simple, clean but shared bathroom. Mrs D does one of the best full English breakfasts in... mmm... England. Tel: 01672 539588.

The Red Lion Pub in Avebury. Can't get any closer to the Cove! Some character (86 foot well with resident ghost, and the curfew may still be in place ;-) A bit
overpriced (about £40 pppn with breakfast). Rooms not that great and being above the pub can get a bit noisy. Tel: 01672 539266.

The Lodge. Bit further down the High Street from the Lion. Info here - http://www.aveburylodge.co.uk/News.html

Manor Farm. Bit further down still. 18th century farmhouse that appears on Stukeley's map of 1724. Tel: 01672 539294.

The Barge Inn at Honey Street, Alton Barnes (15-20 minute drive to Avebury). No rooms but plenty of space to camp (under canvass or in a campervan). Right by the canal and some music festivals in the summer.
BuckyE
468 posts

Mar 20, 2007, 12:14
Yes, barring disasters, Loie and I will attend. She has booked our flights: we arrive London early morning the 9th, depart early afternoon the 14th.

I will have her look at the accomodations posted here. Thanks for your help! We'll have time for exploring the neighborhood at more length than our truncated last visit allowed. All suggestions of sites that need visits will be appreciated. I can think of a few offhand...

Digs at Durrington Walls. Is anything open to the public?
Uffington White Horse. Where's the best view?
Avebury west avenue. Suggestions for what to look for?
Stonehenge private visit. Sunset this time, as we did sunrise last time.
Ridgeway. Less than favorable weather prevented any extensive excursion. Suggestions for best way to experience it?

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted, and we look forward to seeing the crew on Saturday the 12th!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Mar 20, 2007, 12:27
Any other suggestions gratefully accepted, and we look forward to seeing the crew on Saturday the 12th!

Bring something to sit on! There's a lot of sheep poo around sometimes. Folding chairs would be best but a big piece of plastic sheeting if not. There's so much to see within walking distance of the Cove - the view of Silbury from the top of Waden Hill for example is stunning; you can get there from the Avenue (about a ten minute walk uphill). Then you could walk down the other side of Waden, past Silbury and up to West Kennet Long Barrow if you're up for a longer walk (about two hours there and back).
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index