Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Rock Art in walls
Feb 26, 2007, 19:53
StoneLifter wrote:
I'm tempted to post an image of what quarrymen's marks really look like.

Me too.
StoneLifter wrote:
I've posted it before.
Ditto again. The thing above the circle at Greelee Lough. Remember that? Points out that people have been making those marks for more than a couple of hundred years, but they were still quarry marks. At Greenlee they are probably roman quarry marks.

It also links in to the other question:
FourWinds wrote:
'if they went to all that trouble to mark the stone why did they then abandon it' ?
In the case of the one at Greenlee, I reckon the answer is because someone prevented further quarrying. But I don't have any evidence, so I won't bang on endlessly about it. There are others, quarried more recently, such as the ones at Lordenshaw, Roughting Linn, Old Bewick, Chatton Camp etc, where there is evidence that quarrying was halted once the ancient nature of the stones was recognised.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 19:57
Have a look at this one, while it's up - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/55756 . And please don't cheek someone with forty years of working stone - even if they do come from Lancashire (everyone's fallible).
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Rock Art in Museums near Kent
Feb 26, 2007, 19:58
I'm pretty sure the OB ones are quarry marks, mostly on account of the profusion of quarried stone lying right next to the carved panel. (You've got to be careful interpreting those old sketches and lithos of RA. You know how people have a tendency to see only what they want to see.) Exactly who did the quarrying at OB etc, and when, is open to debate. Some IA Northumbrian hillforts have revetments made from quarried stone, eg. Yeavering and Humbleton.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Handbags at Dawn? (OT)
Feb 26, 2007, 20:00
Have you gone all polite again then SL?
Damn.
Just as I was just preparing a particularly pithy reply to one of your earlier snidey remarks ;)
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2007, 20:21
Feb 26, 2007, 20:06
Pure random speculation, but if:
http://www.megalithomania.com/show/image/57
is sandstone, could it be that it was marked out to make a rectagular trough, but then split in half before the trough was started to be hollowed out? It sort of looks like there are marks along the bottom edge of the stone that could be the same as the ones on the upper part, but snapped off. Overall they'd make a vague rectangle.

Edit
Nah, on a longer look, the stone is totally the wrong shape for that. I'm talking out of the wrong end of my GI tract.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 20:07
It's an endless argument (and as I've been sitting here typing for most of the day I've helped propel it) but ok then - explain this one ( http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/53638 ). Was this quarry man sacked just as he was starting work ? Is it a natural flaw in the rock that has hollowed out with erosion ? Or is the photograph rigged (I hope you've signed the e-petition by the way)? Sometimes these little pits fill with water - no photographs of that though ...
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Handbags at Dawn? (OT)
Feb 26, 2007, 20:08
I've got a handbag - really - it's kind of a prop, from the shoreline.
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 20:10
Hi SL -
It's as you say it is: "These really are quarrymarks".
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Rock Art in Museums near Kent
Feb 26, 2007, 20:11
The rocks are almost blank screens for projection of wacko beliefs - that's certainly true. But I'd like to see those notches measured against MI - just to be sure - and the stone is well out of my orbit.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 20:13
Fairly unlikely, but first thought was 'small hole made to stand a bit of wood in'. People were smaller in medeival times, and they liked stading wooden crosses in holes in stones. Apparently.

Could be a fragment of a larger chunk of quarried stone that was too irregular to be of any use?

It is indeed an endless argument. Just look at all the friction generated by the stuff at the Langdale Boulders.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index