Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Hall Hill, Troutbeck Park
Feb 25, 2007, 22:10
Hi Andy
I may be wrong but I thought drumlins could form anywhere along the route of the flow. You must be familiar with those lovely ice worn outcrops that you get in the bottom of many of the lakeland valleys. All that's required is for glacial till to start being deposited over the outcrop and a drumlin forms. From your photo it looks like the mound is orientated along the valley which could also support the glacial theory.

I guess another none prehistoric explanation could be a pillow mound just like those in the upper Eden valley by Pendragon Castle but I guess the smaller mounds may knock that theory on the heed.

As Mr Stonelifter says, why not drop an enquiry in to your local archaeologist and ask their opinion.
andyfellwalker
7 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 22:57
Yes TE I am andyfellwalker.com and I frequently come across objects that really don't look natural but I can't find any other explanation.

It was the posting about Troutbeck Park cairns that led me here.

For really interesting and unexplained works the best place is Stockdale Moor and Caw Fell which coincidentally were just as misty as Troutbeck Park was yesterday and equally as quiet.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 22:57
He wouldn't turn out, but it is the formality to inform them. There's research being done into glaciers, as they're topical, and a drumlin was recently observed being formed ( http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn11032-drumlin-formed-in-a-blink-of-geological-time.html ). The little mound in the foreground of the first picture is interesting, but it's very hard, if not impossible, to get the sense of a site without visiting it over and over and seeing how it fits into the wider landscape.
andyfellwalker
7 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 23:04
Drumlins usually occur in groups like the photos, individual deposits are unlikely and certainly not that far down the valley

http://www.andyfellwalker.com/Egg/Western/Buttermere_to_Ennerdale_and_back/102%20Ennerdale%20drumlins.htm

http://www.andyfellwalker.com/Egg/Eastern/Dark_Side_of_Fairfield/039%20Deepdale.htm
andyfellwalker
7 posts

Re: ps
Feb 25, 2007, 23:05
It's a genuine photo but he wouldn't do it again ;o)
andyfellwalker
7 posts

Feb 25, 2007, 23:07
That's what I would have thought but there is no documentation about it anywhere that I can see
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 07:22
The persons that express negative opinions about potential new finds are often the ones that never have new finds. It's better to be an over-enthusiastic nog, I think, than a miserable twerp.
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Feb 26, 2007, 09:34
another vote for glacial here.
The Eternal
924 posts

Feb 27, 2007, 21:55
Andyfellwalker,
andyfellwalker wrote:
For really interesting and unexplained works the best place is Stockdale Moor and Caw Fell which coincidentally were just as misty as Troutbeck Park was yesterday and equally as quiet.

The 8th photo down on the link below, which I'm sure you know about, shows one of the "works" you refer to on Sampson's Bratfull, Stockdale Moor. I've never visited that place, which must be one of the few places amongst the Lakeland fells that I don't know well. Sampson's Bratfull is inluded on The Modern Antiquarian website. I wish I could've been out today - and that's a good camera Sean's got, with the sharp images, and the incredible zoom.

http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2007/02.%20February/26.02.07.htm

Regards,
TE.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index