Etymology et al

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Etymology et al
Feb 19, 2002, 11:56
Considering the churches mission to discredit and generally hide everything pagan etc, and given the wholly oral tradition of preservation of records and knowledge used by the ancients - it got me thinkin'...

How many veiled references and folkloric echoes of those times still survive in general usage today - for example, we say we "move in different circles, or have a circle of friends", " twig onto something", "touch wood" - its little things that I tend to take for granted that reveal possible connections when you examine their roots.. curious.
caergog
393 posts

Re: Etymology et al
Feb 20, 2002, 22:45
Just picked up a copy of 'the old straight track' Alfred watkins yesterday in the charity shop and while flicking through there was a reference to dodging and dodery apparently coming from Dod men who were ancient diviners thus the back and forth movement.
I think there is more about language in this book so shall let you know when i get around to reading it , I'm not really a ley line convert but it looks an interesting read to see where it all came from.
love
carolinex
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Feb 20, 2002, 23:28
huge amounts of links here:

http://www.startwright.com/words.htm

Hope there's one there that helps!

Twig I twig you; do you twig my meaning? I catch your meaning; I understand. (Irish, twigim, I notice.)

Above from:

http://www.bibliomania.com/2/3/255/frameset.html

This is great Wotan, I also used to love looking at maps (still do) as a boy, and trying to work out the Anglo Saxon landscape from the suffixes and prefixes and odd things abound.

Thanks again for rekindling an interest of mine, this week, I'll be mostly gnawing my arm off to stop self entrenched in bibliomania.com...

*PS if Mooncat's reading, a "twitten" is a "narrow alley" all I need now is you scripting Sandy Toxvig in a HH shoot-out for obscure wordage...

* b e *
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 20, 2002, 23:44
That's a great book, I'm big into 'folk history' and this guy writes some of the more interesting stuff.
George Ewart Evans writes some great stuff in a similar vein, especially one Where Beards Wag All and The Horse In The Furrow. Your local library might have them.
Was thinking of learning Welsh once as an aid to site discovery, but stumbled at the first hurdle, was lots of stuff about nouns etc, and not much about the language. Another good book on etymology is The Dictionary of Word Origins by John Ayto, published by Bloomsbury
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re:Doddery Alf
Feb 21, 2002, 09:06
Caz - I've go t the same book myself, and have dipped into it rather than read it. I'm not sold on leys myself, but from an ancient alignment POV its pretty interesting.
W
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Iechyd Da
Feb 21, 2002, 09:13
or Yakky Dar as i always thought it was as a kid! Picked up a Welsh Dictionary when i was looking at Dyffryn and a copy of the Mabinogion and also the Old Straight Track at this time, too! Great stuff, bu my tongue cant quite get the welsh words out! Also tried to teach myself scottish Gaelic from a book and a tape set - should just stick to mumbling english!
W
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Voice recognition
Feb 21, 2002, 09:16
Morfe - what can I say? Looks like i'm going to be equally entrenched in studying those sites - excellent!

W

beats working!
Martin
401 posts

Feb 21, 2002, 13:44
aye- it's a great book right enough. When I was big into ley lines I hitched down to Herefordshire and travelled about there wiv some mates- it was fantastic to dowse the sites and lines that Watkins mentions in his book.
caergog
393 posts

Feb 21, 2002, 14:06
Thanks for the recomendation, I shall did deeper in to it when i can.
I have been learning welsh although I've skipped my classes for a while. It does open up meaning to alot of things my favourite is the days of the week in welsh corresponding to the ancient planets (as in other languages) english tends to have a few gods in there too!
I think my crap french helps alot with welsh there is a similar structure and femine and masculine as in french also.
The pronunciation also is interesting at looking at sites i.e ff= f, f=v, dd=th, ll=ch as in loch, you can see if double letters were changed to single the whole sound would change or even give a different meaning i think cope covered some of this in MA. I am lucky as I have native welsh speaking friends to help me but I can't really say much except please and thankyou etc and of course can i have a pint please!
love carolinex
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re:Swing
Feb 21, 2002, 14:40
I feel a subversion imminent, but what did you use to dowse with ?
w
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index