THE BOOK

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

THE BOOK
Feb 11, 2002, 15:51
Just picked up a copy of the MA - its an absolute must. Far from being just another 'bandwagon' book for the new age school, its a goddam mind-opening revelation! Havent even consulted the rainbow pages yet, but the concepts and themes around Ur and her sisters are so fundamentally 'right' that its frightening. More than worth the money and guaranteed to be carted around everywhere i go!!

top stuff
Scott7
174 posts

Re: THE BOOK
Feb 11, 2002, 15:54
yeah, it's kind of required reading around these parts.....

scott
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Feb 11, 2002, 16:05
How come nobodies picked up on this before ? its so obvious and fundamental it makes me wonder how its stayed hidden so long.
Makes organised religions look like jackanory.
Scott7
174 posts

Feb 11, 2002, 16:20
i think most of us on this board have picked up on various bits in the MA. i rekcon the whole concept here (speaking for myself of course) is that you take from all sorts of different sources to create your own individual belief system.

maybe i'm wrong, but i'm assuming part of the attraction of ancient sites and the corresponding theories and beliefs that come with them is that no-one can say exactly what they stand for or what went on with them. it really is open to some serious personal interpretation and avoids dogma. although sometimes i do yearn for some more rigidity in where i'm trying to get in terms of "spirituality" or "beliefs" or so forth, it seems to make more sense to figure it out myself rather than be hand held through it.

whew! where did all that come from?? well, anyway, that's my take on it. the MA is indeed a great book. it stands as a notable piece in the big ol' jigsaw puzzle we're all trying to put together.

take care,

scott
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 11, 2002, 16:29
'tis true. TMA is a gem, but I don't think it's everything. One man's theories are another man's goat blanket ... well something like that.

WOTAN, firstly welcome to this little corner of cyber space. Secondly, take TMA for what it is: A beautifully written book full of passion and great information. The Good Book it ain't. I think if Julian thought it would be taken as gospel he wouldn't have written it. Like all works of this nature it is there to provoke thought and cause debate.

Admittedly, a lot of what JC has to offer within it's pages appeal to most of us I think, but we have each reached out to these places and gained our own experiences and opinions from them.

Enjoy the book, enjoy the stones and Ride On!!
Scott7
174 posts

Feb 11, 2002, 16:34
hey fourwinds, did you really say "one man's theories are another man's goat blanket?"

ha ha!

scott
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Phew!
Feb 11, 2002, 16:36
Scott - Hmm. I find that the beauty of this line of thought is that, even tho' it tends to be multilayered and many headed, it sits so naturally and comfortably and is accepted so easily that it just feels 'right'.

I'm completely areligious - having been schooled in Christianity and 'led' gently along by the city-dwelling system, but its never adhered to me in any way. First time i saw the White Horse at Uffington in a n I_Spy book of Archaeology when i was 6, something clicked inside. Now its almost like hearing a familiar, but long lost tune - you instinctively pick up the beat without realising you 'know' the words.

Flings my doors of perception wide open and takes a tin of paint stripper to them. Its cool to find that its not just a phase or a fad, but something as real as grass between your toes.

cheers - B
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re:MANIFESTO
Feb 11, 2002, 16:41
4 - absolutely. Its not 'THE" last word on the subject, but it is a great piece of writing on a vast can of worms. Thanks for the welcome, I feel in good company! B
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re:MANIFESTO
Feb 11, 2002, 16:47
Agreed, it's a very good book and probably the best field guide on UK sites around. Take as much from it as you can/need to. And carry it everywhere!

And you're welcome to the welcome :-) I expect there'll be a few more along soon.
Scott7
174 posts

Re: Phew!
Feb 11, 2002, 16:56
well, i know what you mean. the familiarity of all of these things and how the just feel "right". it's something i can't quite put my finger on, but hey, that's the whole point of the journey.

trying to figure it out as you go along.

yep, there is something striking about the uffington horse, i felt the same way as you, so much so, that i had the damn thing tattooed across my shoulder.

but, that's me. we all have our own little facets of weirdness!! ha!

take care,

scott
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index