Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Sites Around Bodmin?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wyldeboar
33 posts

Sites Around Bodmin?
Oct 24, 2006, 13:30
I'm down in Padstow for a couple of nights next week.Never been that far South West before.Bit of spare time afternoon/eve of 31st.Anyone recommend the best sites in the area from the plethora on here?Within reasonable travelling distance.Be nice to spend Halloween somewhere atmospheric......???
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Sites Around Bodmin?
Oct 24, 2006, 15:04
Paging Mr Hamhead (local guide to the cognisenti...)

But off the top of my head, you've got the various St Eval stones up that way, plus Pawton Quoit, Water Music Stone (Long Stone), and Men Gurta for starters. And that's before you get anywhere near the Moor itself!

Have fun!
postman
848 posts

Oct 24, 2006, 17:15
Wyldeboar wrote:
I'm down in Padstow for a couple of nights next week.Never been that far South West before.Bit of spare time afternoon/eve of 31st.Anyone recommend the best sites in the area from the plethora on here?Within reasonable travelling distance.Be nice to spend Halloween somewhere atmospheric......???

There aren't many places more atmospheric than the Hurlers stone circles
a good place for Halloween spookery, but its on the other side of the moor,
a good afternoon could take in Duloe and Trevethy quoit aswell
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 24, 2006, 18:04
postman wrote:
Wyldeboar wrote:

There aren't many places more atmospheric than the Hurlers stone circles
a good place for Halloween spookery, but its on the other side of the moor,
a good afternoon could take in Duloe and Trevethy quoit aswell

I'd go along with those as choices and add Hob's suggestion of Pawton Quoit, which should be free of crops this time of year.
postman
848 posts

Oct 24, 2006, 19:12
Even closer to Paignton is the St Eval church stones,spooky saints name, spooky place ,spooky day ,surely spookyness would be guaranteed
phil
126 posts

Oct 25, 2006, 19:43
I bet Nine maidens at dusk would be pretty spookey!

Or a walk around the rings of Castle an Dinas hillfort of even better a visit to Roche Rock with the ghost of Jan Tregagle howling around!

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/legends/jantreg.html

(all sites only a few miles from Padstein.) : )
Wyldeboar
33 posts

Oct 27, 2006, 15:27
Thanx Folx.Will take your advice.
postman
848 posts

Oct 27, 2006, 18:42
Wyldeboar wrote:
Thanx Folx.Will take your advice.

have fun, let us know what you got up to
pagety-pow
1 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 13:43
Wyldeboar wrote:

Theres a lot of good suggestions here, The Cheesewring is where the extraordinary Hillatom Gold Cup was excavated, A beautiful (bronze age goblet made of sheet gold, somewhat similar to a Citroen H van in its corrugated splendidness), naturally enough the English Authorities have tried to obfuscate the implied advanced craftsmanship as non-Kernewek,the cup was presented to one of their Royals and used as a shaving mug(!)a replica is in Truro Museum should you wish to make your own view. My favoured spot on Bodmin Moor is'nt apparently neolithic but it is sorrounded by megalithic sites and it exudes a most beautiful tranquil but edgy atmosphere;Temple Church in the village of Temple just off the A30, well sighposted but secreted, the church is a Knights Templar church which adds somewhat to the general speculation that this site is as pagan in origin as any Venton or Holywell, particularly since theres a lively stream running along the foot of the hill. Bodmin is a great spot for sites generally and of course the environs around Padstow are well endowed, even in the town theres some wells and marker stones
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index