The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wind farm on Lewis

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postman
848 posts

Wind farm on Lewis
Oct 15, 2006, 10:33
Just seen this on Countryfile ,the biggest wind farm in Europe is planned for the isle of Lewis
five new quarries, a hundred foot wide road for big machines to build them .
One wind farm at the north of the island and one at the south .Whilst Callanish itself isn't under threat they actually intend to put turbines on Sleeping beauty
postman
848 posts

Re: Wind farm on Lewis
Oct 15, 2006, 10:37
see www.bbc.co.uk/countrfile for the story
Wyldeboar
33 posts

Oct 15, 2006, 11:36
Thought I'd read a previous post on this here on TMA,could be mistaken.This has been ongoing for some time now.Numerous pro and con lobbies involved.I filled in the E-petition agin it many moons ago.Have long since deleted it,but know a woman who can.......will post it on here if anyones interested,but no doubt someone moe IT literate than me will have it here soonest.

Have to say thought Countryfile report was nicely balanced.Presented both sides of argument.............
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Oct 15, 2006, 13:19
There has been debate about this for many months now. Last time I was at Callanish, people were handing out leaflets, asking folks to sign petitions etc. There is a lot of debate about this on the Hebrides website forum (www.visithebrides.com).

I normally don't mind a wind farm, in fact I think that they can be quite beautiful. Round here (Lancs/Cumbria borders)we have a few small ones but this one looks like it is going to be huge. The thought of those huge roads being built across the island and the destruction of the peat bogs is soul destroying. So, even if Callanish itself is not at risk, other sites surely must be? I'm sure I read that there is a burial chamber up on the hills where they are proposing it will be built?
postman
848 posts

Oct 15, 2006, 13:41
In California and Norway Golden Eagles have been killed by wind turbines ,and migrating birds too, cant they put them off shore like in N.Wales
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Oct 15, 2006, 13:52
postman wrote:
In California and Norway Golden Eagles have been killed by wind turbines ,and migrating birds too, cant they put them off shore like in N.Wales

I did wonder about the offshore option, that is what they have done in Morecambe Bay. I'm sure it must all come down to £££££££s in the end...
whipangel
137 posts

Oct 15, 2006, 14:02
Offshore's meant to be the most productive, and it would have to be a better option for Lewis than onshore - all the financial / employment / self-sufficiency benefits of onshore *hopefully* without the devastation of the landscape.

Funny how they do offshore where the land's at a premium (the Mersey for example), and don't think twice about devastating a landscape where it's less so.

I find the idea of 100' wide roads and new quarries a horrific prospect.
Wyldeboar
33 posts

Oct 15, 2006, 14:10
Seas around Hebrides are too rough n unpredictable apparently...........

Migrating birds get Mullahed offshore too.We jus don't see the mess.I think Eagles and Swans are the big species at risk here.

Proposed Site will cover many acres,if not Sq Miles.I have seen proposals to alter siting of some turbines so they don't intrude over Sleeping Beauty.Recent discovery of an alleged burial chamber on one of the proposed summits was being touted as a possiblility to halt the proposal.Will watch the space..............
whipangel
137 posts

RSPB Action page: Save the Lewis Peatlands
Oct 15, 2006, 14:24
http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland/action/lewis/action.asp
Wyldeboar
33 posts

Help with Letters of Objection
Oct 16, 2006, 14:26
OK.Good News n Bad News.Good News.I have a copyof the Pro-Forma Letters of Objection that have to be lodged with the Council by Dec 13th.Bad news is its an attachment,and as a complete IT Numpty I havent' a scooby how to get it on here for anyone who's interested.

Is there a kind hearted IT Wizard/Witch who can post it on here if I mail it to them?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index